Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal set and portrait

GRANVILLE

As a result of organising a display for Nov 11th, these two items have been brought to light. The owner knows nothing about them other than the medal set was rescued from going in a skip. The portrait, which is oil on board has no information about who the subject was. Does anyone know what the cap band and badge might indicate?  The medal set and photo concern a Pte E Broty – East Surrey Regt. Can anyone confirm which medals are present. There is no suggestion the two items are connected.

David

Portrait.jpg

medal set.jpg

Edited by GRANVILLE

20 minutes ago, GRANVILLE said:

The medal set and photo concern a Pte E Broty – East Surrey Regt

The only Broty who I can find with a medal entitlement 

is Arthur J Broty Pte  28823 Suffolk regiment

on National Archives and Ancestry

Perhaps a look at the name and the service numbers on the medals is in order here

Thanks for this. I'll see if the medals can be accessed and read etc.

The green cap band might be a red herring (!), but did the Dorset Yeomanry not have such a thing?

10 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

The green cap band might be a red herring (!), but did the Dorset Yeomanry not have such a thing?

Yes they did, Steven, and for an OR that seems the most likely explanation for its wear.  Similar cap bands were apparently also worn by officers on the staff in the intelligence branch, along with gorgets (tabs) of the same colour, although I am unsure when that began.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Wonder when the poppy was added. Given it has the modern (idiotic) leaf, one assumes it must have been relatively recently. That might account for the colourisation, so possibly the cap band is a red herring indeed.

56 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Wonder when the poppy was added. Given it has the modern (idiotic) leaf, one assumes it must have been relatively recently. That might account for the colourisation, so possibly the cap band is a red herring indeed.

I regret I can't say when it was painted but the portrait is not a colourised photo, it's an oil on canvas painting with the poppy applied at the time, as far as can be told from looking at it.

David  

Guess, then, that it must be relatively modern. The leaf addition to the poppy must be in the last 20 years or so (I think)

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Guess, then, that it must be relatively modern. The leaf addition to the poppy must be in the last 20 years or so (I think)

I've contacted the owner of the portrait (I haven't actually seen it) and he tells me that he has had the painting over 30yrs and that the poppy is a modern stick-on type which he put on himself a few years ago.

David 

As Steven and FROGSMILE have pointed out the hat band could be Dorset Yeomanry. If you take a look at the button it appears to have a crown and markings around it, like the Dorset Yeomanry button, I know its only a painting but just an observation.

Chris

queens-own-dorset-yeomanry-255mm---no-rim-with-kings-crown-bronze-military-uniform-button.jpg

A Dorset Yeomanry soldier wearing said green band

Chris

DO_b3tjX0AAfYft.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dragoon said:

As Steven and FROGSMILE have pointed out the hat band could be Dorset Yeomanry. If you take a look at the button it appears to have a crown and markings around it, like the Dorset Yeomanry button, I know its only a painting but just an observation.

Chris

That's a really good spot, Chris and potentially significant, as cavalry units, including yeomanry, retained regimental rather than GS buttons.

Edited by FROGSMILE