Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Re: Erasing History

Pte1643

Hi All

Having just read a thread in "Sales, Wants and Swaps", entitled Erasing History.

I/We have all heard of this practise, and untill now I haven't really given it a lot of thought. But I've just thought of something to ask...

Has anyone heard of a case where a medal, or group, has/have been renamed, in order to meet a families requirements for instance, only for the originally named medals to show up at a later date?

Hence we are confronted with a duplicate medal/medals.

Hmmm...

And what would happen to the value of the re-named medals should this ever arise?

Any thoughts?...

Mark

The "Value" of any Re~named/Scrubbed/Unofficially Altered Medal is Realistically in the Eyes of any Serious Collector,Virtually Valueless,It has no Researchability,Historic Context or Provable Provenance,until very recently it would have been consigned to the Melting Pot as its Value in Collecting fields would have been just that "Scrap",The Re~emergence of the Genuine Medals would have no effect,above that of curiosity,on any Re~Named Replacements,I certainly wouldn't want any Renamed items tainting my Collection. :(