Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anderson ? RAF

RFT

Anderson, 47 Squadron, RAF south Russia.

The above named individual appears among the squadron's records.  I don't have his first name/initials, rank or service number.  He was not an officer!

Find My Past lists well in excess of 600 service records for the name Anderson and I don't relish the thought of having to look through every one of them.  Before embarking on this task, has any member of the GWF researched Mr Anderson and able to furnish me with his name and/or number.

Rob

Edited by RFT

I can offer you Captain Walter Fraser Anderson who was attached to 47 Sq in south Russia on 22 July 1919 if that is any good; wounded in action October 1919.  But he was an officer!

Picked up the DFC and a string of Russian medals though they seem to have had some difficulty deciding which!

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/27164

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/27165

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/27166

Edited by pierssc

Thanks for responding but Capt. Anderson is not the man I am looking for. 

Capt. Anderson most certainly was the recipient of several Russian awards.  In 2017, the following and beautifully engraved silver plaque appeared for sale -

"Presented to Captain Anderson DFC

47 Squadron

Royal Air Force

As a Mark of Respect

For His Bravery 30th July 1919

By Fellow Russian Airman

Loyal to Tsar Nicholas II

20th August 1919"

This 30th July incident is well documented and is also linked to the V.C. recommendation (which never materialised).

As for my search for Airman Anderson - Looks as though I will have to trawl through the available online records (all 600 plus of them)!

Rob

• Admin
23 minutes ago, RFT said:

As for my search for Airman Anderson - Looks as though I will have to trawl through the available online records (all 600 plus of them)!

Rob

You could look at the available MICs at TNA and on Ancestry for Anderson's RFC/RAF that would enable you to eliminate the officers / identify the airmen?

I don't envy your task!

David

Thanks David. 

I certainly don't relish the thought of the task ahead but airman Anderson is the only man who is not listed by serial number, rank or first name! 

Squadron Strength, at its peak, was 304 (including 13 Russian civilians) but have actually located the names of 311 (including 13 Russians). 

Of the 298 other ranks - Service records for 270 have been traced but 27 (plus Anderson) are among those reputedly not available to the public and a handful are seemingly missing?  

Eleven of the "missing" records are among the 190 numbers issued between 330891-331081 and which, for one reason or another, were never submitted to the N.A.?  A batch of my 11 missing records fall between 331009-331022.  Along the way it has been mentioned that these may well relate to men whose service continued beyond WWII but that doesn't explain the record of 331013 F. O. Freeman who died in south Russia, 27th Dec., 1919!

I'm so very close to completing this record of mine and feel compelled to source the details for Mr Anderson (if I'm lucky).  It's something which has to be done!

Rob

Edited by RFT

• 8 months later...

Anderson Update.

Having trawled through 600 plus records, have deduced that the following 2 individuals are likely candidates -

113580 Peter Anderson and 14238 James Anderson.  Each saw active service with 47 Squadron in Salonica but the former is my preferred choice as he is documented has having returned to the U.K. Sept 1919 (squadron were in Russia at that time and presumably disembarked from that location).   

Regretfully, no specific mention of service in Russia!  

Would certainly welcome supplemental information to confirm (or cancel out) my theory?

The inclusion of Mr Anderson now takes total numbers of other ranks who served (at one time or another) with 47 Squadron (south Russia) to 299!

Rob

Edited by RFT
Additional info.

2 hours ago, RFT said:

Having trawled through 600 plus records,

perseverence!!

re James:

Morayshire Roll of Honour says this:-   ( note no mention of Russia.)

ANDERSON,James.No.14238,Pte.,i/6thSeaforthHighlanders,afterwards transferred to R.A.F.; born at Lossiemouth,13thSept.,1894; joined at Elgin,5thAugust,1914; servedinSalonica.

Son of John and Jane Anderson,6,CliftonRoad,Lossiemouth.Occupation,electricalengineer.

There is a medical record, 31 CCS,  for James dated (return to duty) 11/2/1917 showing he was 47 Squdn at that time

re Peter:

I didn't see anything else for him but I note his brother John was reported wounded early 1918. Perhaps local newspaper has a report of 'another brother serving ....'.?

Charlie

Incidentally putting "47 squ" in the keyword box on FMP brought up the following 10 hits, of which James's Medical record is one:

Edited by charlie962

Thanks Charlie, I very much welcome and appreciate your input.  

The original topic was posted some time ago and I was, to say the least, extremely reluctant to to trawl through that vast quantity of records.  Suffice to add this has only recently been completed but at least I got there.  Your additional info will spur me on to further investigate.

Have recently taken out short term subscription to FMP, I will certainly look at the "47 squ" keyword box and access James's record.

Best regards,

Rob

1 minute ago, RFT said:

Have recently taken out short term subscription to FMP,

The Moray Roll and the Hospital Admissions and the Newspaper report were all from FMP.