Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

450th Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery

Ian Hible

Hello 

This is my first post.

I have recently started to research the service history of my wife's grandfather Haydn Rodgers ( Aka Haydon Rodgers) regimental number 154864, who was born in Dronfield, Derbyshire in 1897 and served in the above unit: source UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 accessed via Ancestry.co.uk.

I have discovered he moved to the Western Front on the 17th November 1917 - source National Archives WO-95-5494_4 pdf Page 214 and stayed there until until 13th January 1918.

However, I don't currently know where he was based before he went to France or what actions he was involved with in 1918.( He survived the war ).

I have drawn a blank with Forces-War-Records ORBATS tool and the National Army Museum website. 

Can anyone provide any hints or tips for a "novice" researcher ?

many thanks

Ian

Hello Ian, and welcome to the Forum!

The battery was formed at Aldershot on 9 July 1917, and would probably have spent its time between there and the artillery ranges at Larkhill before going to France.

If you have a look at WO95/5494 you will be able to find which Brigades RGA (formerly called Heavy Artillery Groups or HAGs) the battery served with in 1918. Their War Diaries can be downloaded from the National Archives for £3.50 each but are not available on Ancestry. From Jan 1918 onwards batteries did not keep separate diaries.

Good hunting!

Ron

Hi Ian,

2 hours ago, Ian Hible said:

Can anyone provide any hints or tips for a "novice" researcher ?

There is some good advice on the LLT - see here.

Unfortunately I didn't find a surviving service file. Doing a bit of near number sampling of RGA men with 1548** numbers that do have files, you appear to get mobilisation/join up dates as follows:

154822 Hartley - 28.4.1917

154836 Watson - 1.5.1917

154841 Yule - 1.5.1917

154845 McCauley - 1.5.1917

154848 Spurr - 1.5.1917

154853 Dickson - 1.5.1917

154881 Harris - 1.5.1917

154894 Widdup - 1.5.1917

154896 Walters - 1.5.1917

I didn't go through the files in detail, but presume that the men may have pitched up at the same RGA depot where their numbers were allocated, and that there might be some subsequent commonality of early home service (eg training/reserve/reinforcement units).

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris 

Thanks for guidance. Thats really helpful.

I will have look at the LLT article.

I suspect he may have enlisted in Sheffield or Chesterfield as he was living in Ridgeway, near Eckington at the outbreak of the war.

I know one of his brothers served with the Derbyshire Yeomanry, so I will see if I can find any reference to Haydn on his records: as I know the attestation papers sometimes listed other relatives who served in the forces.

Ian

Hi Ron 

Thanks for giving me a steer on the locations and explaining the terminology.

I will see what I can discover from searching WO95/5494.

Ian

Hi Chris 

Quick update to let you know your hint about possible mobilisation dates paid off. I have found an article in the 12th May 1917 digital edition of the Derbyshire Courier which states " Haydn Rodgers, son of Mr Arthur Rodgers of The Croft Ridgeway, joined the colours last week." ( I couldn't however, find any correlation with the RGA Depots of the other men on your sample list as the surviving service records indicated they were from Hull, Doncaster, Gateshead and Pontefract)

I also found another article in a 6th October 1917 edition of the same newspaper which states " Privates Hayden Rodgers and Fred Fowler of Ridgeway are home on leave this week.Private Rodgers has been on his last leave before returning to France."  ....which seems to tie in with the dates WO95/5494 shows the unit moved to France.

I will continue to search the War Diaries to see if they reveal any further clues to his movements.

Ian

3 hours ago, Ian Hible said:

( I couldn't however, find any correlation with the RGA Depots of the other men on your sample list as the surviving service records indicated they were from Hull, Doncaster, Gateshead and Pontefract)

Although lost on the forum, you could have a look at 

Kevin