Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Switch

Henry_Hoofhearted

Hello.

While studying some map, I have come across references to Dessart Ridge SWITCH and Metz SWITCH. What is the meaning of SWITCH in this context?

Thank you.

Henry,

Switch Lines are normally trenches that run between existing lines lines of trenches to provide alternative lines of defence in case there are major penetrations into a trench system that require the defensive line to face an alternative direction.  This might be on a regional case (e.g. the Drocourt-Queant Switch line which was an alternative position for the Hindenburg Line) or a hastily dug trench or conversion of a communication trench to meet an enemy attack from an alternative direction.  Possibly called 'switch' lines after the switches in a railway line which link two parallel tracks. 

An expert on these trenches might be able to give detailed answers on why they might have been dug and even possibly who dug them.  To help others; where are these trenches located and what dates of their use are you interested in?

Regards

Colin

Thanks for responding, Colin. Sorry for the delay in replying but I've only just found your message.

The War Diary which I'm studying is that of 4bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers, a pioneer battalion. The diarist is writing in Lechelle and his entry for 2nd March 1918 informs us that "B & C Coys continue wiring NEW SWITCH (in capitals for some reason) forward of Metz in the third system of the battle zone".

Thanks, and I hope this information is sufficient.

Andy.