Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley Scott MK IV with MK VI barrel?

dutchbarge

Hello,  This Commercial Webley Scott is stamped MK IV, but has what I think of as a MK VI 6" barrel.  All serial numbers (cylinder, frame and barrel) match.   No broad arrow or import stamps. Fit, finish and patina lead me to believe it was originally built in this configuration.  Was the 6" barrel used in building MK IVs or could this pistol have been one of the many MK  V, IV, I and II that were upgraded to MK VI configuration (barrel, cylinder, etc.) during repairs or rebuilds?  Thank you for your help.  Cheers, Bill 

3419.jpg

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 01:37, dutchbarge said:

Hello,  This Commercial Webley Scott is stamped MK IV, but has what I think of as a MK VI 6" barrel.  barrel used in building MK IVs or could this pistol have been one of the many MK  V, IV, I and II that were upgraded to MK VI configuration (barrel, cylinder, etc.) during repairs or rebuilds?  Thank you for your help.  Cheers, Bill 

I V Hogg's "Pistols of the world"  page 272 states barrel lengths for the -455 Mk IV of 1899 were 6, 5, 4 or 3 inch. If there are no army marks it is probably a private purchase tho. could still have seen service in the 2nd Boer or Great War. There is - somewhere on the internet -a site where you can check your gun's Webley serial number against the original order and buyer if police or army it will be stated there. Yperman

In case you need it www.armsresearch.co.uk maybe able to assist with dates etc ….

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 01:37, dutchbarge said:

Hello,  This Commercial Webley Scott is stamped MK IV, but has what I think of as a MK VI 6" barrel.  All serial numbers (cylinder, frame and barrel) match.   No broad arrow or import stamps. Fit, finish and patina lead me to believe it was originally built in this configuration.  Was the 6" barrel used in building MK IVs or could this pistol have been one of the many MK  V, IV, I and II that were upgraded to MK VI configuration (barrel, cylinder, etc.) during repairs or rebuilds?  Thank you for your help.  Cheers, Bill 

3419.jpg

That pistol is a standard factory item. I have seen a few of them in the past and once owned a 3" barrelled one. You have a rather nice example, what proof marks does it carry?

As an aside, there is currently advertised on Gunstar, a 3" barrelled RFC marked MK. IV dated 1913

• 2 weeks later...