Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patrick Giblin 596 Irish Guards served from 1900 to 1921

I have just joined the forum today as I volunteer in a museum here in Ballina Co. Mayo. A local man who is 90 years of age, visited us last week with his fathers medals from the First World War. We will be displaying the medals next month. I was hoping that I could get some assistance regarding photos and any records that may be available as I would like to display them with the medals. His father survived the war and may well have spent some time working in Buckingham Palace. His fathers name was Patrick Giblin and even though he died in 1943, his son has vivid memories of his father speaking of his experiences in the trenches. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a portrait I took on the day of his visit, which will also be displayed with the medals.

Mbw.jpg

Welcome Frank.

Irish Guards and other Guard regiments  records have not been released to the public properly yet. The Guards records use to be held by themselves but I understand are now with the MoD. So these have to be applied for. This can be done from

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

So the only records on well known websites that I have found so far refer to his medals. His Medal Index Card confirms the British War and Victory Medals. This shows he did not serve in theatre prior to 1/1/1916. The Medal roll itself adds nothing useful. The Medal in his left hand I suspect is a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal but the pic is not that clear

Once you have the info from the MoD come back to the forum as the experts here will be able to point you in the direction of further avenues of research.

Edited by Mark1959

Mark

Not so sure that the medal is a British one, you've got me looking now !

Blown up it does seem to be the same King though.

Edited by sotonmate

I think that Mark is right with the LS&GC Medal because I think the white edges of the ribbon has been rendered as a pinkish tone in the photograph.

Dave