Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dardanelles Hospital

Mangoman

The above man was admitted to  the Dardanelles Hospital on 10th June 1915 suffering from enteric before being shipped to the Imtarfa Hospital, Malta and then to Haslar on 17th September.

I have done a Google search and can find little at all on the Dardanelles Hospital. I found nothing to suggest it was either a General or Stationary Hospital so was this a tented hospital, and if so where about was it located?

Edited by Mangoman

I think it would have been on Lemnos or Mudros, but I'm sure someone more expert will be along shortly :) .

I think the entry means that he was sent to hospital while serving at the Dardanelles. There was no "Dardanelles Hospital" named as such. As sJ has suggested, there were several hospitals at Mudros (Lemnos) run by various organisations (eg Australians - there was even a 3rd Canadian Hospital).

Thank you to those members who responded to my inquiry.

I think Haslar's hospital muster lists post-1901 may still be with the MOD. I can't pin down where the Mtarfa hospital records are but maybe the Malta archives will be willing to help. Later archives may record his trail more specifically.

https://nationalarchives.gov.mt/EN.Contacting_Us.aspx

Incidentally that service number should be Z/64 not BZ/ :) .

It looks from the amount of detail as if you already have his service record, but I've looked at the preview (link below) and it says "To Hospital, Dardanelles" rather than "Dardanelles Hospital".

I've also identified Hospital Ship Brasile on the record preview, so I will see if a Medical Officer's Journal survives (although I don't recognize the name and there is nothing at Kew, so I'm not hopeful; she may not have been commissioned into the RN).

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7294191.

Edited by seaJane

8 hours ago, seaJane said:

Incidentally that service number should be Z/64 not BZ/

Right first time. His full RNVR Official No. was Bristol Z/54 (or BZ/64). There was a man numbered Z/64 for each RNVR Division, so BZ is essential for identification.

Edited by horatio2

Ah - ok, but sadly TNA has them all as Z/64. Searching with the name and BZ/64 doesn't retrieve his record.

Edited by seaJane

Quite correct sJ. Not a helpful ADM 339 search engine. In contrast if, not knowing the name, you try to identify Z/64 in ADM 339 you get seven choices. In contrast, the ADM 337 listings of RNVR ratings at least identifies their Division even if they still quote an incomplete official number.

24 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

I think the name of the shop may have been misspelled as there was a hospital ship Brazil as evidenced by this medal card, struggling to find more but still looking http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2483685

The preview of that medal card seems to show BRASILE.

I believe BRASILE was an Italian [hospital] ship hired during the Gallipoli campaign.

Edited by horatio2

• Admin
1 minute ago, horatio2 said:

The preview of that medal card seems to show BRASILE.

Well spotted, I couldn't see it on the tablet I was using at the time (preview didn't seem to want to work).

Not in the Navy List. I don't think hired ships bore RN Medical Officers but I may be wrong (if they didn't, then there'll be no Medical Officer's Journal).