Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What would be the patrol range in arcs for RNAS Short 184 Seaplanes?

Felix C

For example the Short Seaplanes used at RNAS Portland or Cattewatter. I notice not until April 1918 was a base setup between the two at Torquay. Is it fair to state the seaplanes from either base would have roughly half the distance between the two as their radius? If so how far into the Channel did they operate? Well you see what I refer to. Good weather and all that. 

Or better said, anyone come across a map with patrol radius for the seaplanes used? 

You could ask the Fleet Air Arm Museum, they may have maps etc.

I found an interview with a pilot who mentioned 60 mile radius. Gotta love those old airborne mags of the 1960s.

I recall John Biggins poked fun at the amateur WWI aero enthusiast in his novel A Sailor of Austria.

Edited by Felix C

15 hours ago, Felix C said:

For example the Short Seaplanes used at RNAS Portland or Cattewatter. I notice not until April 1918 was a base setup between the two at Torquay. Is it fair to state the seaplanes from either base would have roughly half the distance between the two as their radius? If so how far into the Channel did they operate? Well you see what I refer to. Good weather and all that. 

Or better said, anyone come across a map with patrol radius for the seaplanes used? 

If it's any help:   From Profile Number 74: The Short Type 184: & Windsock Datafile 85: both by JM Bruce.

The earlier Sunbeam powered Type 184s had an endurance of around 2h 45m with a top speed of 84 mph.   Later Renault powered models could patrol for over 5 hours at a slightly lower speed.   However, one quote states  'It was a physical impossibility to fly a Short at much more than 75 miles per hour.' 

Edited by pete-c

• 5 years later...