Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How many wounded?

gwalchmai

I know there is plenty of info on wounded etc. by the end of the war. But I am trying to find out how many casualties had been treated by the British medical services by the end of 1916. Any dieas? 

A lot is the simple reply. 

Statistics book mentioned above. On Archive.com you need from page 236 for casualty stats and page 250 to add the numbers all up. All the data you require is there. 

On 07/10/2018 at 16:28, gwalchmai said:

Military only. Im doing a reenactment based at the end of 1916 so would like to get figures roughly right

With a bit of rough and ready mental arithmetic , I reckon that, from France and Flanders alone, about three quarters of a million British Empire troops had survived their wounds by the end of 1916 ; another fifty five thousand had been mortally wounded.  Two hundred and twenty thousand had been killed outright.  Then there were Gallipoli, Mesopotamia , Salonica etc....these must have yielded about one hundred thousand surviving wounded, along with commensurately large numbers of killed or died from wounds.

So, you won’t be far off the mark if you think in terms of well over 800,000 wounded - including slight cases - surviving by the end of 1916, with another 65,000/70,000 died from wounds.  At least 250,000/270,000 killed in action by that time, I would think.

I’ve browsed through the Medical History to find these figures, but haven’t been precise.

Hope that helps.

Editing here : these are strictly battle casualties, excluding disease and accidental injury.

Phil

Edited by phil andrade