Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli

robbie

I found this picture in an old book belonging to my parents who live in AUstralia. I was amazed to find out that such vessels (?) were used to move troops across the sea. Has anyone got any further information re this?

RObbie

post-5-1105730986.jpg

Robbie,

I’ve seen your picture before, but cannot put my hands on it this morning

However I think that the clue here is in the caption’s words ‘across the bay’

I do not think that men and equipment were expected to cross the open sea on these lighters/pontoons. I am more inclined to believe that they were for the ship-to-shore transfer.

I att a pic below of the French using a similar craft at Sedd-el-Bahr

[from ‘Gallipoli 1915 – Frontal Assault on Turkey’ by Philip J. Haythornthwaite

in the Osprey Campaign Series]

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-5-1105774150.jpg

Yes I'm sure it was the bay..which one though, I wonder. Thanks for the extra inoformation and picture Michael.

Robbie

In the case of your picture Robbie, I'm pretty sure that the bay is Suvla, but I still have not found my copy yet so a small question mark remains

Regards

Michael D.R.

Robbie,

The copy of your pic which I have appears in ‘World War I – an illustrated history’ with the caption “Allied soldiers being evacuated across Suvla Bay, Gallipoli Peninsula, in December 1915”

In the period up to the evacuation and as part of the ‘cover’ for that event, men and stores continued to be landed almost right up to the end – the same lot would be brought there in the morning and then taken off under cover of darkness that night so as to give the impression that the allies were indeed preparing to stay put. One trip on one of those little craft would be disconcerting, but perhaps someone had to it over and over again!

Regards

Michael D.R.