Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6 Squadron in April 1919?

tbirduk

2 AC1 6 Squadron men were buried in a Double grave In Tourmignies Churchyard in 1919 and were Concentrated to Cabaret Rouge before 1923.
The exhumation report states they were buried under a Propeller bearing 2 names.
The 2 Bodies were A(lfred) MACE (my interest) and CR PEPLOW (sic) who both died 23 April 1919, PEPLOW became PEPLOE at Reburial.

Is there anyway of Identifying cause of Death? Flu is my assumption but 2 men on the same Day?

Edited by tbirduk
remove false assumptions about cause

• 1 month later...

Though the CWGC database shows both Peploe and Mace as serving with 6 Squadron at the time of their deaths, I have found no evidence that this is in fact correct. From the details recorded against the aircraft serial number (DH9a E706), the new aircraft was being delivered from 99 Squadron (based at Aulnoy at the time) to No 6 AI (Air Issues), a section of No 1 ASD (Aeroplane Supply Depot) based at Tourmignies and that the two men were working in one of the No 1 ASD hangars when the pilot caught the corner of their hangar when he was coming in to land and crashed, writing off the DH9a in the process. Perhaps it was assumed at the time by the CWGC that 6 AI was the same as 6 Squadron. There is no mention as to which squadron the two men served with on their casualty cards, only 'R A F', nor for any of the other four RAF men who were injured in the same accident. If anyone can substantiate the claim that Peploe and Mace died whilst in the service of 6 Squadron, I would greatly appreciate it if you posted it here, as I can then add the two names to the 6 Squadron Roll of Honour.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Starlight
mis-spelling

Not proof but there is no indication of a Squadron number on either his headstone or the Village War memorial for Alfred Mace

WestByfleet_mem_H-M+wm.JPG

mace_A_HS+wm.jpg

Dear All,

The link so kindly provided by Steve, clearly shows how dangerous flying could be in those days...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 2 months later...
On 21/11/2018 at 16:11, Starlight said:

Though the CWGC database shows both Peploe and Mace as serving with 6 Squadron at the time of their deaths, I have found no evidence that this is in fact correct. From the details recorded against the aircraft serial number (DH9a E706), the new aircraft was being delivered from 99 Squadron (based at Aulnoy at the time) to No 6 AI (Air Issues), a section of No 1 ASD (Aeroplane Supply Depot) based at Tourmignies and that the two men were working in one of the No 1 ASD hangars when the pilot caught the corner of their hangar when he was coming in to land and crashed, writing off the DH9a in the process.

In checking the story of 6 Squadron's protracted journey to Mesopotamia in the spring of 1919, I found that for most of April (and before), the squadron was based at Spa, 250 km to the east of Tourmignies. When the order was received to relocate to Iraq, the squadron (or what was left of it as most of its men and many of the officers had already been demobilised) was entrained direct to Marseilles, where the men boarded the 'Malwa' and travelled to Port Said. There is no reason why any of 6 Squadron's men would have been at Tourmignies in early April 1919.