Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Safed in The Great War

Eran Tearosh

Just had an interesting question from the Galilean town of Safed, asking for details of what happened there late September - early October 1918.

Safed (Also known in Hebrew as Tsfat / Tzfat) was one of the 4 major centers of the Jewish population in the Holy Land over the 17-19 centuries, housed many of the refugees that were forced northwards during 1917, mostly from Jaffa Tel-Aviv.

Safed is located in the Upper Galilee mountains, and was quite out of the way from the main lines of advance of the EEF Through Jisr Banat Yakov to Damascus in the east (Desert Mounted Corps) and through Acre and the Ladder of Tyre to Beirut in the west (7th Meerut Div.). Actually, Safed is not that far from Rosh Pina, on the main line of advance towards Damascus (See map).

1239722030_Safed-September1918.jpg.25363f74f358197fa22c04f9888ac3fb.jpg

This is from the British Military map, dated March 1918, with additional info (mostly roads) from September 22nd, 1918 (After the commencement of Megiddo Campaign, just after capturing the Vale of Jezreel, and a few days before continuing to Damascus).  Note that Safed is referred to as a Jewish Colony. Not exactly so it was a mixed city. Nearby Rosh Pina was entirely Jewish.

Can't find any reference as to which EEF unit took over this town, and when. Anyone?

Mate,

While the Australian Mounted Div moved near there when they pushed past Tiberias to cross the Jordan around Jisr Benat Yakub to Damascus.

But from our maps we dont seam to have moved that far west.

I did notice one map that showed the Indian 5th Cavalry Div moved across that area on its way to the Jordan from the coastal area?

Sorry so far no luck 

S.B

Hi Steve,

As far as I know, on the morning of September 27th, the 5th Cavalry Division was concentrated around Kufr Kenna (north of Nazareth), as the advance on Damascus commenced. They advanced following the Australian Mounted Division's route (i.e.: down Nazareth - Tiberias road, and from there up north, passing next to Rosh Pina on the main road to Jisr Banat Yakov and Damascus).

While verifying these details, I just came across a reference to Safed in the British OH (Vol 2, part II, page 569): 

"General Chauvel considered it necessary owing to the hostile attitude of local Circassians to drop a strong force, with headquarters and the bulk of his troops at Quneitra, to guard and organize his lines of communication from Safed, 9 miles south-west of Jisr Banat Yakov, onwards". 

I underlined local Circassians, as there was a concentration of Circassian population around Quneitra (Deported there by the Ottomans during 19th century), but very small numbers west of the Jordan River, in the Upper Galilee mountains (other Circassian groups were scattered in Lower Galilee and the eastern edge of the Coastal Plain). Even these days there still is a small Circassian village (Rihaniya) north of Safed.

As the ‘main line of communications’ is the Nazareth - Tiberias - Rosh Pina - Jisr Banat Yakov - Damascus road, I can assume that Safed is mentioned, as it is high above (although not far in distance) Rosh Pina, and the town in EEF hands would secure the flank of the ‘main line of communications’. Makes sense. Questions are - who and when? 

Eran     

Mate,

The Australian Offical War history mentions this town on page 736

It states " Wilson from Nazareth reached Tiberias early the following day, patrols pushed to El Meidel to Tabghah and on to the outskirts of Safed, which was found clear of the enemy.

This refers to Lt GR Wilson 11 LHR

WILSON    George Richard    596    Cpl    11 LHR    C Sqn att DSqn/9 LHR 8-15 to Sgt 9-15 (shown as a scout WIA 1915 on patrol at Rhododendron Ridge page 811 AOWH by Bean no mention in either his file or the unit histories?) (G) rtn 3-16 recom MM - for his actions T/Troop leader leading his Troop (Lt Manning's Troop) around Khibbet Sihan at 2nd Gaza 19-4-17 (shown possibly Troop Sgt Lt Manning's Troop) on Auja raid 5-17 prom 2/Lt C Sqn ? Troop 20-5-17 att school of Instruction (officers general course) Zeitoun 7-17 (OC Munro C Sqn Troop Lt's Gordon Wilson Hoffman Clifford) 10-17 shown his Troop att to MG Sqn rushed and captured a MG & 47 Germans at Semakh 25-9-18 shown T/OC C Sqn (Maj Koch sick) 10-18 (Boer War 5 SAIB (472)

I check some other souces the 11 LHR Unit history fails to mention Lt Wilson's work during this time.

A check of the 11 LHR unit war Diary gives us this;

27 Sept

the Regt moved to Tiberias around 0815 

0940 11 LHR and the Bde (4 LH Bde) moved to Safed and arrived at 1615 but moved after a few minutes as the 3 LH Bde was in action on the Jordan (Jisr Benat Yakub) and arrived there at 1700

I checked the 4 LH Bde war diary but they just say 

0800 entered Tiberias

1600 arrived Jisr Benat Yakub

1700  12 LHR were across the Jordan.

It appears the AIF was more interested at the crossing of the Jordan and push to Damascus to write much about Safed.

So I checked the Australian Mounted  Div War diary and found this

26 Sept

A Sqn from the 3 LH Bde was sent to Safed, this Sqn and two MGs reached Safed around 1800, found it clear of enemy and moved to Rosh Pina

(Sorry no mention of what Sqn or Regt that was from? one to check on for me)

The 27 Sept

the Diary only mentions its push to Rosh Pina and to the Jordan where the fighting was going on.

So on checking the 10th LHR war diary there it is;

26 Sept

B Sqn was sent to provide an outpost in the direction of Safed.

The 10th LHR unit history

26 Sept 

Mentions B Sqn 10 LHR and A Sqn 9 LHR formed an outpost line around Safed.

A check of the 9 LHR War Diary mentions

26 Sept

1315  A Sqn with 24 men from B Sqn moved forward to occupy Safed, which they did by 1700.

Mate so by the records it appears both B Sqn 10 LHR and A Sqn 9 LHR were the ones your after

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Wow! 

I just started looking through 4LH Bde September-October War Diaries, and only then noticed that you posted this great work you've done! Thanks!

Quite interesting that the B Sqn 10 LHR and A Sqn 9 LHR were up there around Safed a day before the Australian Mounted Division started the advance

to Damascus.  Of course, interesting, but not surprising - This movement and position secured the dominating mountain, which was the west flank of the

advance of the AMD during September 27th. 

Steve - Many thanks!

Eran

Mate,

A check of the Unit histoy 9 LHR page 150, mentions ;

1315  A Sqn  marched out with orders to move into the hills and occupy Safed, which they did by 1700.

In 24 hours this Sqn marched 50 miles through the hilly counrty of the Galilee.

The Jewish population of various towns were overjoyed and astonish to learn both Haifa,  and Nazareth had been captured.

Cheers

S.B