Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone Identify Cemeteries (2)

John S

This is the second photo.

Slightly larger that the first, this one being 8 x 5.5 cms.

The taller diamond shaped memorial in the background has 7 letters as follows

??MM?NS. My best interpretation of the missing letters is N or R, O or U, I or E.

Checked CWGC site just in case for possibles using mix of letters and the only three (Rummins x 2 and Rummens x 1) are all named on various memorials

Perhaps the relationship of the cemetery to the houses and the headstones grouped round the Cross may be a clue?

Thanks

John

post-19-1105717884.jpg

Hi

I may be sticking my neck out a little far, but I think it is a communal cemetery, i.e. one that existed for French civilian use.

The larger crosses and headstones in the background seem to indicate that this is the case.

So, now we've narrowed it down a bit.... :lol:

In all seriousness, I hope this is of help.

I've a copy of Unending Vigil at home. I'll see if there are any snippets of info that might help.

Pehaps a different way of narrowing it down is to think about the unit of the soldier and the year of death. Even though he is commemorated at Thiepval, there may be a way of approachinig this

1) For the moment, choose to trust that his sister had some logic attached to this photograph's location and evidently went to a specific cemetery - and kept the photograph - perhaps she knew many of his comrades were buried there, or had some knowledge now lost to us

2) CWGC and Silent cities give potted histories of most of the cemeteries in France, explaining on the whole what regiments are buried in each cemetery - and which action.

Get the soldiers details and try cross referencing in this way, then you may find that there are only one or two potential locations that have the right combination of regiment, communal status and dates. OK, so this is all one long trail of assumption, but it is possible a means of slicing up your search a bit more.

Of course, there may be a Pal who can identify it immediately without all that palavour... and this is no joke, the depth of knowledge here never ceases to amaze me.

regards

doogal

p.s. editing by me due to a display of rubbish writing and lack of clear logic

Edited by doogal

• Admin

John

Looking at the appearance of the housing in the second picture, could the Cemetery be somewhere in a mining area, as the houses look a bit like miners Corons. This may narrow the search down a bit.

Just a thought.

Michelle :blink:

• Admin

Furthaer to my posting above, looking at Silent Cities and the CWGC site (glad I have a Pop Up Blocker, its ALWAYS busy when I look at that site!) May I suggest (probably erroneously)

Maybe Mazingarbe Communal Cemetery Extension

Or Bully Grenay Communal Cemetery extension

or Fosse10 Communal Cemetery extension, Sains en Gohelle

John,

I wish I had seen your photos sooner.

For I'm afraid that I have to say my predecessors are wrong. :(

The first second I saw it I was (99%) sure : this is Ypres Town Cemetery.

And I can prove it. For I took a photo from almost exactly the same spot a week or two ago.

Two rows of headstones.

Behind them (on the right) is where now the CWGC staff headstones are. (A few have recently been moved to Ypres Town Cem. Ext. close by.)

If you wonder where the cross of sacrifice is which is visible on tour photo : on mine it is hidden by the second tree from the left.

The little houses, all identical, in the backgrond are the "Ligywijk" in Ypres. Small houses built after WW1 for working class people.

Aurel

post-19-1105727643.jpg

And to make comparison easier : John's photo again. Bit smaller. ;)

And now I'm not 99% sure, but 101%.

Aurel

post-19-1105727723.jpg

Aurel

I have e-mailed you from the other thread but a great thanks for your response. To have the same picture 80 years later is fantastic.

To all the others who replied thanks for your response also, your time and interest is very much appreciated.

Regards

John.

That was super fast, how remarkable to have the same photograph taken from almost exactly the same spot nearly 90yrs later.

Top marks to you Aurel

Aurel,

The second picture is also in "The Silent Cities" although without the women walking along, so it definetely looks like Ypres Town Cemetery, well done.

Andy

(...) how remarkable to have the same photograph taken from almost exactly the same spot nearly 90yrs later.

Top marks to you Aurel

Actually it was not that "difficult". Ypres Town Cemetery only has two sections : one on both sides of the Menin Road entrance, one near Ypres Town Cemetery Extension.

And when taking a picture of the latter section, one is bound to take it from that spot if one wants the (only) 2 rows.

That the photographer of Silent Cities, as Andy pointed out, was standing on the same spot for his photo, proves it.

Aurel

Yves,

Sorry, but I'm afraid I have to disagree.

Still 101% sure it is Ypres Town Cemetery.

And I think my modern photo leaves no doubt.

What are your arguments ?

Aurel

Aurel

Nice work, and well done.

Steve