Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant R.J. Scott 111 Squadron

aeroraider

I am looking for information on Lt. Reginald Jacob Scott, pilot, 111 Squadron. I have a copy of his casualty record and enlistment paper. He was a dentist from Brandon Manitoba Canada.

1. He was killed accidentally. Does anyone know the nature of the accident?

2. Does anyone have any squadron records or photographs of 111 Squadron?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Lt R J Scott died on 7 May 1918 from injuries received in an accident on 1 May.

No 111 Sqn RFC/RAF was formed at Deir-el-Belah, Palestine, on 1 August 1917 from a flight of No 14 Sqn. It was equipped with a variety of aircraft, including Bristol Monoplanes, DH 2s, Vickers FB 19s, Nieuport Scouts and Bristol Fighters. Operations against the Turkish/German forces commenced in September.

It was intended that No 111 Sqn was to be a single-seater unit, and it had only Nieuports by early 1918; these begain to be replaced by SE 5as in June 1918. The Bristol Fighters were sent to No 1 Sqn AFC. By the Armistice, pilots from No 111 Sqn had claimed 59 victories over enemy aircraft, with the most successful pilot being the Australian Capt Roy Maxwell Drummond, who was credited with 8.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth. Do you know if 111 has a squadron history or memoir? I have a copy of Sutherland's book Aces and Kings, which is about the same theatre of war... but have found nothing specific to 111.

I don't know of a specific squadron history, but it's quite likely that there is one.

Meanwhile, you could try trawling through the Palestine part of the AFC's Official History at

http://awm.gov.au/histories/ww1/8/index.asp

as there are a number of mentions of No 111 Sqn in the text. No 111 Sqn is also mentioned in Volume VI of The War in the Air, the British Official History.

Good luck

Gareth

I just braved the heat and went up into the attic to look at a 1975 Cross & Cockade journal which featured some photographs of No 111 Sqn in Palestine. Some of these may be of interest to you. The first features Bristol M.1c A5142.

Gareth

post-25-1105754415.jpg

G'day,

There is a book called "Golden Eagles", it has a chapter on "Peter" Drummond, if you pm me your address I will photocopy the chapter and snail mail it to you.

It doesn't have anything regarding Scott, but it gives you an idea of 111 Sqn's operations.

Regards,

Andrew Smith

Braved the heat! It is -50C (I'm not kidding) here tonight... it is hard for me to feel sorry for you!

Mate

January is in summer! Yesterday it was about +42 here, so the attic would have been at least in the 50s, and the journals would have stayed up there. It was much cooler today, probably only in the mid 30s, so sorting through them wasn't the experience that it might have been a day before.

There are a couple of articles in the journals that deal with No 111 Sqn; if you PM me with your address, I'll try copying and e-mailing.

Regards

Gareth