Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Epehy Wood Farm Cemetery, Epehy: Case #2 Lieutenant Royal Dublin Fusiliers

dickaren

I have had a quick search and can only find two missing lieutenants of RDF for 1917 and 1918 both on Pozieres Memorial-Lt T.Heenan 4th attached to 1st Bn KIA 21.3 18 and Lt S Palmer 19th entrenching Bn previously 10th Bn RDF KIA 27.3.18. All the known RDF casualties in the cemetery are 1st Bn and all bar one killed 21.3.18. Further research required.

Richard

22 hours ago, dickaren said:

I have had a quick search and can only find two missing lieutenants of RDF for 1917 and 1918 both on Pozieres Memorial-Lt T.Heenan 4th attached to 1st Bn KIA 21.3 18 and Lt S Palmer 19th entrenching Bn previously 10th Bn RDF KIA 27.3.18. All the known RDF casualties in the cemetery are 1st Bn and all bar one killed 21.3.18. Further research required.

Richard

I cannot find any missing Lieutenants with RDF as secondary regiment.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for posting the files. I was in the cemetery last week (visiting a known grave) and it was the unknown Lieutenant in Plot 5 Row A Grave 12 (COG-BR 1998575) which drew my attention as a possible to identify as the headstone shows him as Royal Dublin Fusiliers - see GRRF.

regards

Richard

Grave 5.A.12

This is the post from the cemetery with the COG-BR link, so I have now added the GRRF, as it was noted that it said RDF which was not on the COG-BR but is on the headstone. I don't recall seeing a COG-BR without the regiment affiliation that later appears on the GRRF.

COG-BR 1998575 same as above in 4.B.7 at 62c.F.8.a.8.6, also and Officer and a Lieutenant with not details

doc1998485.JPG

doc1998575.JPG

17 minutes ago, laughton said:

This is the post from the cemetery with the COG-BR link, so I have now added the GRRF, as it was noted that it said RDF which was not on the COG-BR but is on the headstone. I don't recall seeing a COG-BR without the regiment affiliation that later appears on the GRRF.

doc1998485.JPG

doc1998575.JPG

Photo of the headstone.

Unknown Lieutenant RDF.JPG

Lieutenant Heenan then (LLT):

19 October 1917 : transferred to 48th Brigade in 16th (Irish) Division.

Piece 1974: 48 Infantry Brigade (1915 - 1918) 

March 21, 1918 war diary (page 98 OF 1002)

• at Malassise Farm to May Copse
  • in the correct area throughout the period

Looks like you found your man!

The "Two Richards" (@dickaren  @laughton) are now looking at the details to submit a report on the RDF Lieutenant, so we have to assemble the details to make sure all the bases are covered,

The UNKNOWN Royal Dublin Fusiliers (LLT Link) are:

KETTLE

Lieutenant

THOMAS MICHAEL

Saturday, September 9, 1916

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

VIEW RECORD

9th (Service) Bn.

48th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division

Royal Dublin Fusiliers

KILLINGLEY

Lieutenant

HASTINGS GREVATT.

Monday, October 23, 1916

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

VIEW RECORD

2nd Bn.

10th Brigade, 4th Division

Royal Dublin Fusiliers

PALMER

Lieutenant

SAMUEL WILLIAM

Wednesday, March 27, 1918

POZIERES MEMORIAL

VIEW RECORD

19th Entrenching Bn.,

late 10th Bn,

Royal Dublin Fusiliers

HEENAN

Lieutenant

THOMAS GEORGE GRANDON

Thursday, March 21, 1918

POZIERES MEMORIAL

VIEW RECORD

4th Bn., attached 1st Bn.

48th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division

Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Noted already above for Lieutenant Palmer, thus eliminated from this case:

On 27.3 18 19th entrenching battalion  were at Rouvroy en Santerre miles to the west of Epehy so the unknown Lt is unlikely to be Palmer.

The LLT section on the entrenching battalions  tells us about the 19th Entrenching Battalion and the link to the RDF and 16th (Irish) Division:

Formed from 450 men of 10th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 200 of the 7th (Service) Battalion of the Leinster Regiment plus other details not required by 16th (Irish) Division, at Barleux on 18 February 1918. 

On 26 March a heavy enemy attack caused severe casualties to the battalion, which withdrew to Fouquescourt and thence to Warvillers. At 9am next day the 19th Battalion attacked and recaptured Rouvroy-en-Santerre (TMC 66e.L.8 [Montdidier] 66e) but then came under attack and again suffered severely. 

There are 28 men in the CWGC database that show the Royal Dublin Fusiliers as a "Secondary Regiment". Three (3) of these men were Lieutenants, all of which have known burial locations (CWGC Link). To be certain, we should check on the eight (8) Second Lieutenants (CWGC Link), particularly Vigors, who was attached to the 9th Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

VIGORS

Second Lieutenant

ARTHUR CECIL

Saturday, September 9, 1916

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

VIEW RECORD

Royal Munster Fusiliers

attached 9th Bn., Royal Dublin Fusiliers

There is also one (1) Captain, that was attached to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, however he is in a known grave (CWGC Link).

Edited by laughton
2nd Bn was incorrect

• 4 weeks later...

Special Memorial check for Lieutenants, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, France (CWGC Link). One (1) in 1916:

1. Lieutenant Davies, buried in Miraumont German Cemetery but the grave was lost in a later battle.

That takes him out of the area where we are looking, thus there is no impact on this case.

Edited by laughton
added link

• 1 month later...

@dickaren asked me to insert his draft report into the topic - always great to see another member undertaking a report. It is always tough to take the first step. I have not yet gone through the report.

I can see why Richard was having problems - it usually works for me and my Google Chrome crashed into a smouldering heap of ashes when I tried to "cut & paste" the complete document.

I will try just the main text without the attachments and then link to a PDF version. That worked, so it must be something in the attachments.

PDF Version: Lieutenant Royal Dublin Fusiliers Epehy Wood Farm Cemetery

INVESTIGATIVE REPORT:

This report pertains to an investigation of the identification of the burial location of a member of the Commonwealth Forces, during the Great War 1914-1921.

SUBMITTED TO:

CWGC Commemorations Section

Commonwealth War Graves Commission
2 Marlow Road

Maidenhead, Berkshire

SL6 7DX United Kingdom

Email: commemorations@cwgc.org

Report Date: 3rd December 2018

Reason for Submission: (“X” means purpose of the report)

Casualty Identification:

Burial Information:

Confirmed Identity

X

Burial Location Identified

X

Most Probable Identity

Grave Stone Correction

Questionable Identity

Grave Records Correction

X

Incorrect Identity

Request for CWGC Details

Other

Other

Supporting Documents: (# refers to attachment number; “I” information provided)

Casualty Identification:

Burial Information:

Heenan Thomas George Grandon

i

Epehy Wood Farm Cemetery

link

1st Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers

i

France

i

Lieutenant

i

Plot 5 Row A Grave 12

i

Date of Death 21 March 1918

link

COG-BR 9th August 1919

i

Graves Registration Report

War Diary Extract(s)

Concentration of Grave

Casualty Card

Exhumation Report

Grave Stone Photograph

Headstone Register

Grave Stone Inscription

Area Map(s)

Memorial Inscription/Photo

Trench Map(s)

Reporting and Review

Possible Candidates List

Other

Summary of Findings:

The Graves Registration Report form for Epehy Wood Farm Cemetery Plot 5 Row A Grave 12 lists a Lieutenant of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

A review of the candidate list of Lieutenants of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers from the Great War made it clear that the only person this could be is Lieutenant Thomas George Grandon Heenan of 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Evaluations of the timelines and locations of the other candidates provide positive proof of these finding.

Details of Findings:

The findings are conclusive that the remains in Plot 5 Row A Grave 12 at Epehy Wood Farm Cemetery are those of Lieutenant Thomas George Grandon Heenan of 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

The findings are based on the following:

1.    The Grave Registration Report Form (GRRF) notes that there was an exhumation of a Lieutenant of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers into Plot 5 Row A grave 12 at Epehy Wood Farm cemetery (Attachment # 1)

2.    The Concentration of Graves (Exhumations and Reburials) Burial Return (COG-BR) provides a reference to the location of the exhumation at 62c.F8. a 8.6 (Attachment #2)

3.    An extract of a McMaster Map 62c shows that the remains were found just west of Malassise Farm south east of Epehy (Attachment #3) where 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers were holding trenches on 21st March 1918.

4.    An extract of a Trench Map marked with a red dot (Attachment #4) shows the exact location where the remains were found at 62c F8 a 8.6 approx 250 metres west of Malassise Farm.

5.    The CWGC Database records four Lieutenants of The Royal Dublin Fusiliers missing in the Great War 1914-1918 in France, two recorded on the Thiepval Memorial and two on the Pozieres Memorial (Attachment#5). The CWGC Database does not record any missing Lieutenants with The Royal Dublin Fusiliers as their secondary unit.

From dates and locations indicated in the battalion war diaries (attachment#6) only Lieutenant Charles George Grandon Heenan of 1st Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers was killed near to where the remains were found at 62c F8 a 8.6.

Lieutenant T.M Kettle of 9th Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers date of death 9.9.16 was killed near Ginchy 57c T13 approx.24kms west of where the remains were found.

Lieutenant H.G Killinglay of 2nd Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers date of death 23.10.16 was killed near Les Boeufs 57c T4 approx.22kms west of where the remains were found.

Lieutenant S.W Palmer of 19th Entrenching Bn date of death 27.3.18 was killed near Rouvroy-en-Santerre 66e L8 approx.45kms south west of where the remains were found.

Action Required:

The “Investigative Report” has been prepared in accordance with the procedures and criteria set out by the CWGC, should they wish to make any changes to the commemoration details (Attachment #8).

The evidence is conclusive that the remains were found in the precise area where Lieutenant Thomas George Grandon Heenan of 1st Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers was killed on 21st March 1918.

Lieutenants Kettle, Killinglay and Palmer were killed in actions that took place considerable distances from where the remains were found.

Edited by laughton
updated link to folder

Richard,

Many thanks for managing to post the report and also for your assistance with this case. My lack of computer skills are there for all to see! Any comments/improvements welcomed.

Richard

I have suggested some format changes and put in the original copies of the war diary pages. I can not post that version (with the attachments) here as they contain images from Ancestry. It is  my understanding that the "small portion" exemption would apply in either case. There is no commercial use of the material that is included. We respect the decision of the GWF not to post that information on the forum. The source information required by Ancestry has been added to each of the pages in the report where the information is shown.

• 3 months later...

Just to update this topic to document that the report was submitted to David Avery at the CWGC on Thursday December 6, 2018. Apparently I forgot to move the report to the "submitted" category on the blog listing. That is now complete.

5 hours ago, laughton said:

Just to update this topic to document that the report was submitted to David Avery at the CWGC on Thursday December 6, 2018. Apparently I forgot to move the report to the "submitted" category on the blog listing. That is now complete.

CWGC case no 514

Richard