Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Thomas Hayter - Hampshire/Essex Regts

pudsey63

I am trying to find out about Thomas Hayter, named on our local memorial in Petersfield. His regimental number for the Hampshire Regt was 17758.He was later transferred to the Essex Regt no. 277214, according to his medal card. Local news reports say that he was wounded at Gallipoli and sent back to England. He then rejoined his battalion on the Somme, and contracted pneumonia. After returning once again, this time with the Essex Regt, he was discharged unfit for service in 1917. He took up his prewar employment but never fully regained his health, dying in 1918. I had understood he received the Silver Badge but cannot find him on the list on ancestry. Neither can I find him regarding a pension. He was married to Jane nee Suter and lived in Sussex Road, Petersfield. 

Is there anywhere else I could look for information? Any suggestions gratefully received. 

Thomas Hayter 17758 2nd Bn Hampshire Regt,, Mediterranean Force , appears as Wounded in the Daily Casualty List 1/2/16 suggesting wounding Dec 1915, ie last days of Gallipoli.

Charlie

The 1917 Territorial renumbering explains the 2 Essex numbers. He will have started off with 8476 Essex  then been given the 6 digit Essex number mid 1917

LLT confirms number range  

275001-30000   6 Bn Essex Regt
Edited by charlie962

Charlie962, that was quick! Thank you, I’m sure this is my man and that gives me some great information. I have sent for his death certificate to see if his death was a result of his service. 

This forum never fails. 😀

Just now, charlie962 said:

The 1917 Territorial renumbering explains the 2 Essex numbers. He will have started off with 8476 Essex  then been given the 6 digit Essex number mid 1917

Posts crossed. That explains it then. Thank you so much. 

Between you both I can pursue him further. 

If yoiu look at his discharge date of March 1917, just about the time of the renumbering, it will explain why some records have one number and some another. Very inconsiderate to choose that time!

Charlie

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

If yoiu look at his discharge date of March 1917, just about the time of the renumbering, it will explain why some records have one number and some another. Very inconsiderate to choose that time!

Charlie

At least it’s not me just being thick!

• 5 years later...

Update: 

You will see from the dates that this has taken a long time to push through. After two rejections from IFCP and one from CWGC the latter have finally accepted Thomas Hayter as an official war casualty.

Many thanks to those of you who contributed pieces of the puzzle. Lesson for the ‘authorities: Don’t mess with a menopausal woman who is just asking for common sense to prevail.