Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hotel and Ferry to Eceabat

alantwo

Presently thinking of putting together a trip to Gallipoli and I wondered if anyone has any opinions of the Hotel Caeli in Eceabat. A good location for exploring the peninsular etc? We'll want to visit Cape Helles, Anzac and Suvla/Lala Baba. We will probably already have a 4x4, and will approach from Canakkale, thus is there a suitable car ferry and, if so, any idea on present costs?

My thanks in advance.

Alan

I have no idea about that particular hotel but if you're talking about a hotel close to the battlefields, you can try Kum Hotel or Gallipoli Houses (I never stayed there). But, generally, accommodation in Eceabat will be more comfortable in terms of saving time before going to battlefields. 

You can easily find car ferries from Canakkale to Eceabat (or Kilitbahir) during the day and night (until 11:59 pm I think). There are continuous runs. A 4x4 will not be a problem. It's even possible to enter a car ferry with a bus. 

Costs won't be expensive at all. A Canakkale-Eceabat ferry will cost only 3,75 TL per person. If you want a round-trip ticket it will cost 52,50 TL, if I'm not mistaken. You can find a current price list here (Turkish): http://www.gdu.com.tr/Sefer/SeferUcretDetay?SeferId=2019#

Edited by emrezmen
PM/AM confusion

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:17, emrezmen said:

I have no idea about that particular hotel but if you're talking about a hotel close to the battlefields, you can try Kum Hotel or Gallipoli Houses (I never stayed there). But, generally, accommodation in Eceabat will be more comfortable in terms of saving time before going to battlefields. 

You can easily find car ferries from Canakkale to Eceabat (or Kilitbahir) during the day and night (until 12 pm I think). There are continuous runs. A 4x4 will not be a problem. It's even possible to enter a car ferry with a bus. 

Costs won't be expensive at all. A Canakkale-Eceabat ferry will cost only 3,75 TL per person. If you want a round-trip ticket it will cost 52,50 TL, if I'm not mistaken. You can find a current price list here (Turkish): http://www.gdu.com.tr/Sefer/SeferUcretDetay?SeferId=2019#

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. We're still in the early stages of planning, thus I may need you help again.

Kind regards

Alan

I would strongly recommend you consider Gallipoli Houses.  It is run by Eric Goosens and his wife and he knows the battlefields like the back of his hand.  A search on Google will bring up his website.

10 hours ago, johnshep said:

I would strongly recommend you consider Gallipoli Houses.  It is run by Eric Goosens and his wife and he knows the battlefields like the back of his hand.  A search on Google will bring up his website.

Many thanks, we have looked at the website unfortunately it seems to be pretty much booked up at the times we could go next year. April perhaps understandably is busy but so is May and September. Hence my question as to whether anyone had any experience of the Hotel Caeli. It is quite expensive. The suggested Kum Hotel might be a possibility as they presently have rooms available.

Thanks again

Alan

I don't think you have looked at the hotels' website as it not possible to see the occupancy there.  Possibly you checked with booking.com where we haven't put any rooms for sale for 2019 yet.  If interested you can contact us at talk2us@thegallipolihouses.com  

I understand this might be considered as advertising and against forum rules ...

eric

On 18/09/2018 at 21:23, johnshep said:

For our visits to Gallipoli (10+ ... ) we have stayed with Eric and Özlem at Gallipoli Houses.  Highly recommended.

Convenient location for all the battlefield areas, allowing more time to be spent there (as opposed to start / end of day commuting) and if you do fancy a visit to 'the other side', the ferry terminals at Eceabat and Kilitbahir are a short drive away.

With the added advantage of Eric's excellent campaign and local knowledge, please do give it consideration.

Keith

7 hours ago, The Plummed Goose said:

I understand this might be considered as advertising and against forum rules ...

Under the circumstances we can just regard this as a factual correction. (I'm not setting a precedent here).

Keith Roberts

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:40, The Plummed Goose said:

I don't think you have looked at the hotels' website as it not possible to see the occupancy there.  Possibly you checked with booking.com where we haven't put any rooms for sale for 2019 yet.  If interested you can contact us at talk2us@thegallipolihouses.com  

eric

Eric

Thanks very much for your post. I am advised by my travel consultant (Wife) that you are correct, it was the booking.com site that gave the impression that there were no vacancies for next year. At this preliminary stage we were just trying to see what accommodation might be available, where, at what times and how could we get there. Having said I would like to visit the area before I kick the bucket, we appear to be putting plans in place. I will be in touch shortly. My thanks again.

Keith (Gully Ravine) - Thanks for your contribution, it definitely looks on the cards.

Thanks again

Alan

22 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

Under the circumstances we can just regard this as a factual correction. (I'm not setting a precedent here).

Keith Roberts

Hi Keith

As always I am happy to be corrected.

Regards

Alan

I hired a car from AVIS in Cannakale at a fair price and had it delivered over to Eceabat for a few extra dollars, picked it up, signed off and away. Very easy, or alternatively just pick it up yourself and hop the ferry. Their office is very close to ferry terminal so a simple drive, albeit on other side of car seat and road for me.

That Plummed Goose bloke and his missus have a superb place and very good people to boot. Can't go wrong there mate.

The ferry service is very efficient and easy to get your car on etc. After getting ferries in Indonesia between Java and Bali, it is first world paradise!!

A pleasant and invigorating passage well worth it on its own aside from all the good stuff at the other end!!!

Enjoy!

Gilly

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 04:46, gilly100 said:

I hired a car from AVIS in Cannakale at a fair price and had it delivered over to Eceabat for a few extra dollars, picked it up, signed off and away. Very easy, or alternatively just pick it up yourself and hop the ferry. Their office is very close to ferry terminal so a simple drive, albeit on other side of car seat and road for me.

That Plummed Goose bloke and his missus have a superb place and very good people to boot. Can't go wrong there mate.

The ferry service is very efficient and easy to get your car on etc. After getting ferries in Indonesia between Java and Bali, it is first world paradise!!

A pleasant and invigorating passage well worth it on its own aside from all the good stuff at the other end!!!

Enjoy!

Gilly

Thanks Ian

One of the places I am hoping that we will be able to get to is Lala Baba. I have the impression from Stephen Chambers' and Mrs Holt's guidebooks, it is via a track from the main road, which will get us at least to the CWGC Lala Baba Cemetery. The track crosses Asmak Dere, hence the 4 x 4 I mentioned above, which we 'think' we will probably now get from an airport. Presently looking how to get to Gallipoli whether via Istanbul or possibly Izmir, though the latter has a stopover in Munich. Once we get an idea of the likely route and approximate times of year, I'll be in a position to annoy Eric and their check availability. Looks promising, though any other suggestions or experiences welcomed.

Regards

Alan

I personally found, even after flying from Perth to Istanbul, catching a Truva bus or coach from the Otogar or bus station just a dozen or less stops on light rail from airport, to be pretty good value. Good new buses, comfy and with wifi etc and good drivers on good roads. Only 5 or 6 hours to Eceabat. Then pick up hire car and go from there.

Dunno about all the tracks up Suvla way but I did a few cemeteries there in our little conventional car no worries. Fuel is very expensive.

That way worked for me.

I found Avis very helpful and had it all booked well before by email.

Eric or Bill will be able to comment on 4WD requirements better than myself.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Alan,

while not being able to comment on the quality of  Hotel Caeli, not having stayed there, I have only heard good things about it. However, it is much further away from the battlefields than any of the other options mentioned here, being well to the north of Suvla. While websites will say it is in Eceabat, that refers to the administrative district of that name, not the town itself. 

Having stayed at Eric and Ozlem's I too can join the chorus and recommend it as a very good and centrally located place to camp.

There are a number of tracks heading out towards Lala Baba, the coastal one referred to above and another that starts a couple of hundred meters along the road leading to Green Hill and beyond, sign posted by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The latter is probably better at this time of year, as most of the way has been stabilized, with broken gravel packed in. 

The coastal road can get very heavy after rain, while Azmak Dere can flood after storms. 

It depends on the time of year you come, late spring and summer, and into autumn most tracks should be viable. 

Hope this is of some small help.

Cheers

Bill

Alan,

I'm just catching up here after being off-line for a couple of weeks (all in a good cause [Chianti :thumbsup: ])

I don't think that I have anything new to add to the excellent advice given so far; just reinforcement

The Gallipoli Houses offer great accommodation, to a high modern standard, and they are ideally placed for access to all the three main battlefield areas. I've stayed there twice and been v. impressed each time.

Getting down to the peninsula from Istanbul is not a problem. As Ian has described, Truva offer a great, and economical service, on very comfortable coaches, some of which are spaciously designed with seating in a one/two format (only three seats across the width of the bus). They're as good or better seats than on many airlines today. There's a comfort/refreshment stop halfway and a steward also serves light drinks on board.

If you choose to drive however, modern navigational aids (eg Waze) make getting out of/into Istanbul 'no problem'; likewise getting down to the peninsula

The roads on the peninsula have improved in recent years and that out to Lala Baba should not present any difficulties, but you will need to keep an eye on the weather (see Bill's comment about the Azmak Dere [I remember years back there was a bit of a ford to cross there, but in May this year it gave us no trouble])

If you decide stay in Çanakkale, or go there in the evening, or visit the Naval Museum etc, the ferry service is quick, efficient and economical (though you should always double check that it's the one to your particular destination)

Gallipoli is a very special place - enjoy your visit and make it memorable for all the right reasons

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Bill and Michael

Thanks very much for your comments. Our planning has taken a slight curve in that my daughter has decided to come along with us, to see what I've been going on about for these past few years. As such a slightly longer, two centre holiday is on the cards. I'd like to see something of Istanbul and visit Troy, thus we may end up on the Asia side of the Dardanelles for a few days rest. Assuming Eric has vacancies for the dates we are thinking of, we'll be staying there, it's sound too good to miss. It looks as though it could be August (at the moment!), albeit I'm still awaiting confirmation from the travel consultant, my wife.

Thanks also to Ian, the coach travel sounds okay, but with the idea of us going elsewhere I think a car is going to suit ourselves best and provide flexibility. Mind you with all the extra luggage (yes, we do take the kitchen sink), I'm probably going to need a truck :)

Michael - See you on 3rd November.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Alan

21 hours ago, alantwo said:

Michael - See you on 3rd November.

Looking forward to seeing you at the RAF Club for the Gallipoli Association Conference

which incidentally, will also provide an excellent opportunity for you to quiz the experts for further tips/suggestions re your trip

best regards

Michael

• 4 weeks later...