Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th. Northumberland Fusiliers

bobpike

Hi

I have the battalion history, is there anything in particular you would like to know

Peter

Peter,

That's most kind, thanks.

I know it's highly unlikely to mention an ordinary soldier but I'm interested in a Alfred Abbott who drove ambulance trains. It is said he was given a medal (1918?) by the French for getting people out from the German onslaught of March. He also had a letter from the Russians offering him free rail transport for helping their soldiers.

Is there any mention of this, & are there details of this 1918 involvement?

Hi

Sorry but I can't find a mention of Alfred Abbott other than in the nominal roll and the bn's

booklet ' Their formation and training" booklet.

Details are 17/588 Pte Alfred Abbott served in C Coy.

'Alf' worked in the Loco Department in Darlington prior to the war.

He was with battalion when they left Southampton for France on the 20th November 1915 sailing on the' Empress Queen'

Alfred also served with the Royal Ordnance Department Royal Engineers. Is it possible he earned his french medal whilst serving with the Royal Engineers ?

If I do find any further information I will let you know. Do you have any other information about him you can share with me?

Peter

Peter,

that's most helpful, thank you. I have no real other information although the NER museum thought it might have been the Medaille Militaire awarded to the whole section. the lady who asked for me to help is accessing his MIC so that might give more re dates.

Bob

I hope to spend the odd afternoon in the NER museum library soon,

so if I get any more info on your man I will let you know.

Peter

Alfred also served with the Royal Ordnance Department Royal Engineers.

I would have thought it was more likely to read "Railway Operating Department Royal Engineers", or ROD or RODRE for short.

Chris

I would agree with you,it is Railway Operating Department, but on Arthur's MIC it show's 'Ordnance'

Peter

While I have everybody's attention have any pals anything in the their collection to the Railway Battalion or any other Northumberland Fusilier Pioneer battalion.

Who knows I may have something in my collection that may interest you 1.

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

Thank-you, his grand-daughter is delighted with all the information. Have you any theories on the Operating/Ordnance discrepancy?

Bob

• 8 years later...

Hi

I have the battalion history, is there anything in particular you would like to know

Peter

Peter - was it the 17th Northumberland Fusiliers history that you have?