Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service No on medals - novice needs advice

Boydo

Ladies and Gents. Any advice would be much appreciated.

My great uncles service medals Pre Great War  ie QSA, KSA, and Long Service & Good Conduct record him as 6218 Private J McManus Connaught Rangers.

However his British War and Victory medals are both inscribed as 18203 Private J McManus Leinster R. 

Then when I received his service records from the MOD they gave another service number of 566863 (formerly 6218)

Why the differing numbers and would this mean possible more information could still be held on my Great Uncle.

Maybe a silly question but any advice to clarify this would be most grateful.

Cheers again, Aaran

8 minutes ago, Boydo said:

Then when I received his service records from the MOD they gave another service number of 566863 (formerly 6218)

If it helps 566863 will relate to renumbering that was done post WW1, someone will probably come along and give you a date for this.

Also the medals were engraved with the details applicable at the time the soldier enterred the theatre of war, given he doesn't have a 14/15 Star he may have re-enlisted with the Leinsters. Have you checked the medal rolls?

7 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

If it helps 566863 will relate to renumbering that was done post WW1, someone will probably come along and give you a date for this.

Also the medals were engraved with the details applicable at the time the soldier enterred the theatre of war, given he doesn't have a 14/15 Star he may have re-enlisted with the Leinsters. Have you checked the medal rolls?

Thank you.

He had been serving with the 6th Connaught Rangers in France before being transferred to 2nd Leinsters during April 1918.

Prior to that his records say he was with the 3rd Connaught Rangers before being drafted to France with the 6th Connaughts.

Sort of explains why his medals were engraved with the Leinster Regiment, there are anomalies like this, medal allocation like many things WW1 is not an exact science.