Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Evacuated to Ireland?

Joanna W

Hi everybody. 

I'm looking into the war service of my uncle, Albert George Smith.

My 92 yo father has been telling me a little about Bert's history. He says that he was a member of the Wiltshire Regiment and was sent to France where he was injured. 

After being treated in France he was apparently transported to Ireland for further treatment and recuperation.

Is that a real possibility?

I have failed to find any sort of record for Albert George, but wondered, if indeed he WAS treated in Ireland, if records of that might exist somewhere? I know I'm grasping at straws! 

Thanks so much for reading this,

Joanna

6 minutes ago, Joanna W said:

Hi everybody. 

I'm looking into the war service of my uncle, Albert George Smith.

My 92 yo father has been telling me a little about Bert's history. He says that he was a member of the Wiltshire Regiment and was sent to France where he was injured. 

After being treated in France he was apparently transported to Ireland for further treatment and recuperation.

I have failed to find any sort of record for Albert George, but wondered, if indeed he WAS treated in Ireland, if records of that might exist somewhere? I know I'm grasping at straws! 

Thanks so much for reading this,

Joanna 

Do you have any other details  ? - service number, date and place of birth, when and what his wound was etc ? Unfortunately the name is a difficult one to research.

Craig

Hi Craig,

He was born 5th Sep 1898 in Hurstbourne Tarrant, Hampshire, but was living in Axford, Wiltshire when he joined up.

I have no further info re. where he was wounded or the nature of the wound.

As to service number - as I said, my father is absolutely 100% convinced that Bert was in the Wiltshire Regiment, but a document has come to light that has convinced my cousin that he may have served in the London Regiment (it's a list of men of Ramsbury and Axford Parishes who served in WW1, published just after the end of the war. We know that it not 100% accurate, though, as it misses out Bert's father who was also in the war and whose service records we have found.)

I have a photo of Bert in uniform which a Military Cap Badge forum have identified as having a Wilts. cap badge.

My extensive on-line searches have not found any trace of him, although I did find one interesting document, which I'm going to try to attach. 

It shows an AG Smith (no identifying details, though!) who was a member of the 12th London Regiment and the Wiltshire Regiment.

In case the link doesn't work, that gives this man's Regtl. No. As 02027 and then it says 'Unit previously served with Regtl No and Rank ... on entry into theatre of war' where the information is '12th Lond: R. 474538 Pte.'

Of course, it's quite likely that this isn't even 'our' Bert. 

Thanks for your interest,

Joanna

IMG_0164.JPG

I have a photo of Bert in uniform which a Military Cap Badge forum have identified as having a Wilts. cap badge.

Are you able to post the picture ? - there are often other subtle clues that can be picked up.

It shows an AG Smith (no identifying details, though!) who was a member of the 12th London Regiment and the Wiltshire Regiment.

One of the problems is that the medal rolls only show units a man served overseas with so, if he had served overseas with a unit that was not the Wiltshire's it becomes very difficult. We've cracked harder cases however !

He was born 5th Sep 1898 in Hurstbourne Tarrant, Hampshire, but was living in Axford, Wiltshire when he joined up.

Assuming he wasn't underage and slipped through then that indicates he was probably conscripted sometime after his 18th birthday,

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

The top picture shows that he is wearing medal ribbons  - so in to 1918 or later (the uniform experts should be able to tie down the dates), and confirms he served overseas. Looks like the British War and Victory Medals which are what would be expected.

The bandolier suggests a mounted role of some sort - perhaps in the transports section. In the bottom picture he might be wearing spurs.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

In the bottom picture he also seems to be wearing two chevrons on his lower right arm which I believe would indicate at least 12 months service abroad . The chevrons weren't issued until Dec 17 so he was still with the Wiltshire's until at least then.

He also seems to have something on his middle right arm which is probably some sort of trade/skill badge.

Craig

1 minute ago, Joanna W said:

It's amazing what the experienced eye can pick up in photos!

On the cap badge forum they picked up that he has two overseas service chevrons on his sleeve.

Uniforms are not my strong point - the experts will be along soon to clarify, I'm sure,

Craig

Looking at the medal rolls for #474538. The numbering range for the 12th London's from early 1917 onwards was #470001 to #490000. #474532 was allocated in France in May 1918 so we can't rule out this as being your grandfather just from the dates (can't directly rule him either though !).

Craig

1 hour ago, Joanna W said:

Yes it is. There are I believe lists in existence  of patients treated at many Irish hospitals. I think there was a thread on here a couple of years ago about them.

Thanks to all who have replied.

I've looked at the Royal Victoria Hospital register, but sadly Bert is not there. I would have been amazed (but very happy) if he were!!