Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Article for the friends of Billy Bishop

stan

I'm not going to get into "the BB debate", but given that it appears to come from an educational establishment its a pretty poor article. It recounts the "official line" as fact with no attempt at analysis and almost ignores the VC incident.

Adrian

I have distained.....er refrained :o . Thank-you Mr Freud! :P

I must say I agree with my namesake - the article is pretty uncritical.

Guest Benoit Douville

Stan,

Like Adrian said, it comes from a serious university... I suggest you to right directly to the author of the article if you don't like it.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Biplane pilot

Here's the last two paras:

However, Billy's story wasn't over. A debate raged over his being awarded the Victoria Cross. No one saw him attack the German airfield; the medal was awarded only on what he claimed he did. He was the only Victoria Cross winner not to have his deeds witnessed or proved. The Canadian National Film Board released a film about Billy, The Kid Who Couldn't Miss, a 'docudrama' that claimed Billy had falsified many of his exploits. The Canadian Government Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology investigated and completely discredited this film, finding it both unfair and inaccurate.

There are two additional but different bits of information necessary to complete the saga of Billy Bishop. The first is that a musical comedy about Billy, Billy Bishop Goes To War was one of the most successful made-in-Canada musicals ever made. The second item concerns an event took place on September 1, 2001, the day the Billy Bishop Heritage Museum in Own Sound, Ontario was burglarized. One of the items stolen was a small chunk of shrapnel reportedly given to Bishop by Winston Churchill.