Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bullock Draught

Guest tintin

Guest tintin

Saw the Great War series on Saturday night, years since I saw it last, even better than I remembered it (still the same emotional punch).

Absolutely amazed to see French heavy battery drawn by bullocks. I know RGA used bullocks in India, but was this common on the continent? Was there a shortage of heavy horse in France or did the French Artillery see benefit in using these animals? Were they widely used for draught by the French civil community?

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I've just got to Know....

My grandfather was brought up working with horses and I remember him telling me that when a particularly wet piece of ground (in Northumberland) was to be worked, they had to bring in oxen to do it as the horses could not make any progress in what was virtually a bog. This may also have been the French experience; when the going gets too heavy for horses bring in the bullocks?

Regards

Michael D.R.

The Germans were also short on horses and especially in the East, oxen were used. When the division then came to the west, they brought ttheir oxen with them and used them here too.

Jan