Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

research sites

norfolk1

Hi 

I would like to research a number of soldiers from the Great war , which website would be my best option to subscribe to for a start . ? Any views would be most welcome 

Paul

Just read through the forum posts. And make your own mind up...

ancestry have many records but you might need to also subscribe to fold 3 for others, findmypast have others and forces war, records might have others. 

Ancestry probably works out dearest annually. You could look for the offers help in the lower part of the forum as usually alerts are posted there. Using the technology forum.

Personally , last year I subscribed to FMP but needed Ancestry, this year subscribed to Ancestry and need info from the rest. Unless you are doing full time research and getting paid , you can't justify having al of them.

Edited by chaz

Are they all English soldiers? Plenty of free sources are available for AIF soldiers. Other resources are freely available if they served with New Zealand, Canadian or American forces.

Might help to provide some more details

Scott

Hi 

No they are all British soldiers 

Cheers 

Paul

As a further note, depends if you are going to be looking regularly in 3,6,9,10 months time. It would be worth annual subscription . If you just want a hit now and no future need then look at the offers as I posted in the " using the technology" section.

you can pay £1 for a month, but must remember to cancel before they continue annual payments.

or wait for November, I expect a free access period to mark the anniversary.

• Admin

You could go to your local library both Ancestry and Find my past library editions which will contain all the information you need to start your research are available for free at Doncaster Library.  The local archives will also prove invaluable.  

You can then decide which site you wish to subscribe to, if any.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Send me a Private Message with your email address and I can forward a Master List of about 750 Great War websites which should get your started.

Borden Battery