Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching my great granddad - Frederick William Smith

wingers

Hi all

I am trying to find out as much as I can about my great grandad Frederick William Smith, who fought in WW1 and was a POW

I know about two battalions he was in, but not when:-

Regiment Name: Northamptonshire Regiment

Service Number: 32355

Regiment Name: The Royal Welsh (Welch) Fusiliers - 9th Batallion

Service Number: 56346

I also know he was a POW in Munster II

Other details about him:-

Date Of Birth:    14/02/1888
Date Of Death:    18/10/1926 (Age 38)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

If you look at Find My Past a part of his service record survives - this will give you the details you want. The same record should also be on Ancestry.

Craig

Unfortunately not got membership to either site and can't afford to do so at present, but thanks

Edited by wingers

1 hour ago, wingers said:

Unfortunately not got membership to either site and can't afford to do so at present, but thanks

Free in our library.

Signed up for 14 day trial - now have his service record downloaded - now to try and decipher what the pages actually say, as some very faded/feint and I suspect damaged in fire - others full of jargon

Perhaps others here may be able to assist if they are used to reading these sort of forms?

1 minute ago, wingers said:

Signed up for 14 day trial - now have his service record downloaded - now to try and decipher what the pages actually say, as some very faded/feint and I suspect damaged in fire - others full of jargon

Perhaps others here may be able to assist if they are used to reading these sort of forms?

Ask away.

Craig

The pages I would like to decipher or at least pick out any important details from so I can piece together his military career timeline - are zipped up and can be downloaded from link below:-

link

Or if you prefer me to put each image on here separately I can

Thanks

Just now, wingers said:

The pages I would like to decipher or at least pick out any important details from so I can piece together his military career timeline - are zipped up and can be downloaded from link below:-

link

Or if you prefer me to put each image on here separately I can

Thanks

Which ever is easier - reference your questions to the specific page and we should be able to help.

Craig

As an aside Frederick has a I.C.R.C record 

HERE

PA number 22251 

captured 23rd March 1918 during the German Spring Offensive

leg  (wound) ?

Ray

Edited by RaySearching

Hi Ray

Thanks for reply - yes I knew about his ICRC record, but didn't know he was captured during the German Spring Offensive - that is interesting to know, how did you know this, or is it just based on date he was captured?

• Admin

To me the top picture looks as it has effectively "blotted" the wet ink on an adjacent page in places as the faint ink is in mirror form.

Which bits of the rest are you struggling with?

what would be handy is if I can find blank clean copies of the forms, then I can type in what I can read and end up easy to understand copies of each of my great granddads service record pages

• Admin
10 minutes ago, wingers said:

Top image - the handwritten part at bottom

Top image - what is 17th I.B.D. ?

17th Infantry Base Depot

27/12/(19)17 45 Casualty Clearing Station (above = sent to hospital) adm (admitted) Blistered feet (Place of Casualty) do = ditto for "Field" above (Date of casualty) 9/12/17

ditto 54 Field Hospital Adm (admited) Marching Feet 

11.12.17 (Number) 2 General Hospital Admitted Blistered Feet (unclear)

Not sure why the earlier date is listed later - an expert should be able to cast some light on that bit.

David 

• Admin
16 minutes ago, wingers said:

Bottom image - all handwritten bits

Basically a list of dates for "Posted" , "Transferred" etc. the AO bit is for "Army Order" the order authorising the changes

Then there is the record of his time as a POW

PC from soldier is probably "Post card"

The post mark entry needs someone more au fait with POW camps than I am

Hope some of that may have helped.

Good luck with your continuing research

David

6 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

17th Infantry Base Depot

27/12/(19)17 45 Casualty Clearing Station (above = sent to hospital) adm (admitted) Blistered feet (Place of Casualty) do = ditto for "Field" above (Date of casualty) 9/12/17

ditto 54 Field Hospital Adm (admited) Marching Feet 

11.12.17 (Number) 2 General Hospital Admitted Blistered Feet (unclear)

Not sure why the earlier date is listed later - an expert should be able to cast some light on that bit.

David 

It looks to me like the 27/12 date has been added in afterwards (the dates on the right hand side are in order) - possibly a report came in after the details had been already added so they just noted the date of the report.

Craig

5 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Basically a list of dates for "Posted" , "Transferred" etc. the AO bit is for "Army Order" the order authorising the changes

PC from soldier is probably "Post card"

The post mark entry needs someone more au fait with POW camps than I am.

Post mark Limberg/Limburg?

• Admin
Just now, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Post mark Limberg/Limburg?

I would have guessed something like that Dai but wasn't confident enough to post it.

And just in case some of the earlier information isn't clear, he was conscripted on 21st June 1916, but only called up on 15th Feb 1917. He then landed in France on 30th APril 1917, and was posted to the 6th battalion of his first regiment (which isn't clear from this form, but which OP says is Northamptonshire Regt), and then to the 7th battalion on the same day. He was then transferred to the 9th battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers on the 24th May 1917. See The Long Long Trail for more details of which brigades and divisions those battalions were with.

Thank you all very much - I will work through each page I have one at a time during the week and type them out

Will come back if I have other images I can't work out if you don't mind

Thanks again

and can someone tell me what form this is e.g. form number so I can find a clearer one to look at for idea of content

2.jpg

Edited by wingers