Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WANTED: MAHD. GAMA. MERCANTILE MARINE WAR MEDAL

Asif

I am searching for a Mercantile Marine War Medal named to my paternal grandfather Mahd. Gama.

The Mercantile Marine War Medal named to 'MAHD. GAMA.' was last seen auctioned by eMedals in Ontario, Canada on their website at https://www.emedals.com/a-first-war-mer ... -war-medal

Please type the name 'MAHD. GAMA.' on the search area of the website to view the War Medal.

The item number is: GB5300

It sold in a online auction for: $50 USD

A First War Mercantile Marine War Medal - (MAHD. GAMA). Naming is impressed, very fine.

Please see images of the medal taken from the eMedals website. Images with credit to eMedals.

If you know the location or if you purchased the Mercantile Marine War Medal or have any information please contact me on here or via email on: m_asif_shakoor@hotmail.com or via mobile on ++447850479973.

With best wishes,

Asif

img_03.jpg55ad05b46bfca.jpg

img_02.jpg55ad05ae31d05.jpg

Have you tried contacting emedals to see if they have a record of the buyer? They should not give you his details, but they may contact him on your behalf to see if he/she is willing to sell.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply

I done the above and eventually received a reply. I have contacted eMedals they confirmed to me they know where the medal is at the moment as well as the buyer, however, they are unable to share the buyer's contact details with me, which is clearly understandable on my part. They said they would forward my information onto to the buyer after which I heard nothing and subsequently made further contact with eMedals and they furthermore advised me it’s up to the buyer to contact me.. Unfortunately, It’s been over a month I never received a reply or response from either persons. I made further contact with eMedals and they advised me the buyer had moved. I released a Metropolitan Police Crime ref: 5118298/17, PC Sheraz, KF 629 after which eMedals deleted the page along with the three images of the War Medal from their website (for item GB5300) and blocked me on Facebook messenger.

Would you be able to advise me further on this?

With best wishes,

Asif

Asif

am I correct in assuming from the police reference that the medal was stolen? 

I wish you good luck in your quest. I have one of my grandfathers BWM and Victory Medal but understand from my father that his fathers medals were binned upon his death in 1943. On the off chance they weren’t disposed of in this way, if anyone has his 14-15 trio I’d love to hear from them.

Coincidentally today is the 101st anniversary of him losing his leg at Broodseinde. He is in fact buried in the same grave as another Manchester Pal, his brother-in-law Harry Mulvey who died in the same Manchester Hospital on the same day. (Sorry for the digression)

once again I wish you luck in your quest.

Simon

I am aware how passionate Asif is in obtaining his grand-father's Mercantile Marine medal. Having tracked it down it must be very frustrating to find that those who know where it is won't share that information. But that is life. The auction house is respecting the confidentiality that the purchaser deserves. What I will say is that I am 100% certain that Asif is not looking to have stolen property returned by persueing through the courts. That is not his objective. I sold him his grand-father's BWM and he is just looking to reunite and get the medals back into the family. He is almost certainly willing to pay a handsome premium to get the medal if he can only find out who is the present custodian. If it helps, I am willing to be a middle man.

22 hours ago, Asif said:

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply

I done the above and eventually received a reply. I have contacted eMedals they confirmed to me they know where the medal is at the moment as well as the buyer, however, they are unable to share the buyer's contact details with me, which is clearly understandable on my part. They said they would forward my information onto to the buyer after which I heard nothing and subsequently made further contact with eMedals and they furthermore advised me it’s up to the buyer to contact me.. Unfortunately, It’s been over a month I never received a reply or response from either persons. I made further contact with eMedals and they advised me the buyer had moved. I released a Metropolitan Police Crime ref: 5118298/17, PC Sheraz, KF 629 after which eMedals deleted the page along with the three images of the War Medal from their website (for item GB5300) and blocked me on Facebook messenger.

Would you be able to advise me further on this?

With best wishes,

Asif

The obvious thing would be to inform the Police of your discovery of the "trail" and get them to badger the seller.

One point of caution mind - and I don't know because I've not researched it. Is the naming on this medal unique? Was their only one " MAHD. GAMA" on the roll? If multiple medals were named to the same name you can not prove with certainty that this one was his.

Regards,

Mike

I am pleased to announce an award of £250 to anyone for the return of my paternal grandather's Mercantile War Marine Medal naming impressed MAHD. GAMA. (Item GB5300 sold online by auctioneer eMedals in Ontario, Canada).

I am attending a Nation's Thank You public procession on Remembrance Sunday 11th November 2018 at Westminster, London and would be ever so grateful for the return of the above War Medal.

With best wishes,

Asif

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I understand this War Medal was sold by eMedals to a buyer located in India in 2016.

I would be ever so grateful for the buyer to kindly respond to the email sent by Barry Turk Esq. offering a substantial buy back price.

With best wishes,

Asif

• 1 month later...
On 26/10/2018 at 19:56, Asif said:

Dear All,

I understand this War Medal was sold by eMedals to a buyer located in India in 2016.

I would be ever so grateful for the buyer to kindly respond to the email sent by Barry Turk Esq. offering a substantial buy back price.

With best wishes,

Asif

I dont understand why the buyer doesn't contact Asif.
I collect WO 1 Medals ,and most important for me are the Man and Women behind the medal.
Every medal has a story. The buyer knows the story of the medal of Asif his grandfather, and I think decided to keep it.
Yeas, thats also life.
Asif, If I was the buyer, you got the medal for free.

Regards, Somme 1962

Edited by Guest