Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Patch Cider.

Simon Furnell

Evening all.

Read a little snippet in the papers,which said that a cider had been named after Mr Patch,to commemorate him being the oldest Veteran at,i believe,108.

It was only a brief piece,and i didn't catch the name of the Brewery.

Any ideas,chaps,on the above?

Wouldn't mind one for my collection,and tummy.

All the best.

Simon.

Simon,

Tom's right... it is the brewery in Shepton Mallet, BUT they only produced some many. One to Harry, several to family/close friends, one to his regimental museum and if I'm right in remembering, the brewery retained one for their collection.

Unfortunately it won't be sold to the "public". :(

Les.

Thanks for letting me know.

Could have made a fortune for the RBL Poppy appeal,from that one,don't you think?

Gaymers have been going for years.

Wonder if it was one of the brews they were producing at the time,in the early part of the century?

Real cider,all old English Apples,pressed by unwashed feet,as you kicked the rats away,and drunk half a pint at a time,just in case it was to pokey.

Yum,Yum,Yum.

Pass on the receipe,if you find it,minus the rats.

All the best.

Simon.

Simon,

Living in Bristol, I'm surrounded by farms that produce decent scrumpy. When I was a lad (I'm only 36 now!!), a local off licence sold a local brew that was green & murky. You had to pinch your nose just to sip it. After one pint, you knew you'd had a drink.... after 2 pints you didn't care what happened :lol:

And it was only £1 for 4 pints (back in 1985!!)

Les.

The off-licences down there were good! About the same year I was on holiday in Weston-super-Mare and called in at an "offie" to see if I could get some cider. On a shelf behind the counter were three or four while plastic jerrican-type things full of liquids, various shades of light greeny-yellow. The man got a glass and let me taste them all then provided a two-pint plastic container for me to take away my purchase. It was good stuff, I tell you.

Tom

Tom.

I once bought one variety known as 'Electric Soup' and another as 'Lunatic Broth' :blink:

Cider with Rosie it was not i can assure you, i'd have had a scrap with anybody in a 5 mile radius :unsure:

OOOh, it was rough stuff.

Chris.

Do pubs still have offies? I remember going to one of our locals at a young and tender age and trying to buy "owd Roger" Well Lichfield is not so far from Burton- on Trent. Is it still around? being such an advanced age I dont remember being able to buy alcohol other than at pubs really although I'm sure you could. Pubs smelt diffrerently then as well didn't they? You know Ciggies, sawdust, real ale - women only in the lounge or the snug. I remember back in 1978 the landlady at my parents local refusing to serve me a pint - I could only have a half in a sort of goldfish bowl type glass!! And I was eighteen.

retiring now before I contemplate the grave..

Jayne :rolleyes:

All I can say is if you've never been down to the West Country - that's Gloucester ---> Exeter - you ain't tried decent zyder.

I'm a Bristol City fan (not one of those Man U hangers on) and we always sing the Wurzels song "Drink Up Thee Zyder"....... usually after a couple in the local before a game :D

Zyder I up Landlord !!!!

Les.

I must admit to remembering the Off Licence sales counter,at a couple of local pubs,when i was a boy,although i am only young,honest.

I don't remember off licences,at all,until i was about 19,and started working in one.

People only used to drink in the pub,and at Christmas in those days,and i also remember that the bottles were a lot smaller,as were the cans.

Light Ale was popular,as was Watneys Red Barrel,and many a summer evening was spent,sat with a bottle of Lemonade and a straw,listening to the adults that didn't have to drive home,getting slightly less than sober.

Oh the memories.

I must admit,to never remember drinking a real Gloucester Cider,and by the sounds of it,no wonder!!.

Do Westons come from that neck of the woods?

If so,excellent stuff.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Off to the fridge,to pop a 3ltr Bottle with the largest widget you have ever seen!!

Taste's just like real bitter,honest.

Only joking.

All the best.

Simon.