Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Smith

I know little about my Grandfather William Smith b1891/92 But today found the following information in the Absent Voters for 1918, showing living at Winters Avenue, East Ham at the time with the In laws.

191647 (presume this is his soldier No)

GNR. (presume this is short for Gunner)

112th A.A.S.,  R.G.A

If anyone can help me to find further records it would be appreciated.

There is no-one of that name and number with a medal index card, or listed on the medal rolls.

This probably means one of two things, either your grandad never served overseas, or you have given the wrong number.

Can you please double check the number?

BillyH.

Hi, I don't know if he served abroad, I am doing my family tree and know little about my Grandfather William,  he left the marital home not to be seen again,  in 1933.

I searched the absent voters role for East Ham and found the above information,  seems that its a lost cause then?

Alan

I have only had a quick look, but there don't appear to be any surviving service papers for him. No Silver War Badge record either.

His 6 digit number was likely to have been issued 1917 or 1918 (I stand to be corrected) and so if he was at home on the AVL in 1918 it looks all the more likely that he never went overseas.

With a name like William Smith you have an unenvied job on your hands :rolleyes:

BillyH.