Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with R.A.M.C. man

heatherannej

Hello there

I have this photograph, for one of my Home Hospitals - Gostwycke 2nd Field Ambulance Hospital in Colchester.   Knowing just one man on it (and his War Service), the photograph was taken between September 1914 and July 1915.  On the back is part of a label - if it were whole, I feel that I would know far more but, as it is, this is all it has told me: “HAMILTON WOOD, “EASTWICK”, 48 YARMOUTH ROAD, THORPE, NORWICH”.  I am deducing that this Mr. Hamilton Wood is on this photograph ...

I have found one candidate ... Andrew Hamilton Wood: born 7 February 1877 in Falkland, Fife, Scotland.  To cut a long story short, by 1903 he an M.D. Edin.;was a “physician and surgeon”; living at 223 High St., Longfleet, Dorset.  In 1909, he marries Mary Ann Metcalf in Handsworth, Staffordshire/Warwickshire.  By this time, he was living in Birmingham and had become County Council Assistant Medical Officer.  I have found him dying in Ipswich in 1962.

I have not found any evidence that he served with the Royal Army Medical Corps ... so I wondered if anybody can look at it with fresh eyes ... or even eliminate this particular man.  Many thanks, as always, for any help.

000_WW1_Colchester_Gostwycke_Whole.thumb.JPG.d01f2ae678f3008cf6a50084942ae3e0.JPG

I've found the General Medical Council directories useful in the past but can't recall how I traced them.

Or there's a Lt > Capt Duncan Hamilton Wood in the Royal Army Veterinary Corps ...

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1111762

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5973062

The Medical Register is the definitive list compiled by the GMC of medical practitioners entitled to practise in the UK.

The Medical Directory, (a commercial compilation)and other medical directories have been available over the years. You can consult all these on Ancestry:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?htx=List&dbid=33538&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0

Thanks to you both, that's much appreciated  ... I will use your tips and get digging further.   Heather

• Admin

It may be a coincidence but there is a book -"Norwich -  Portrait of a City" , "selected and described by Hamilton Wood" It was published in 1980 so perhaps a relative? Original edition is out of print but used copies are available https://www.amazon.co.uk/Norwich-Portrait-City-Hamilton-WOOD/dp/B0011NR9OK

According to LLT 2nd (East Anglian) Field Ambulance was part of 54th (East Anglian) Division

Edited by DavidOwen

Ahhhh David ... that could be a good clue, surely ... with the amount of information I have been finding on the Andrew H.W, it would be good for it to be him but the Norfolk connection is just NOT there.  Given the Norwich address on the photo back and now your book clue ... I think I must eliminate Andrew.  Thanks a lot!! Heather

• Admin

Heather,

There is/was an Old Comrades Association founded in 1929 - some records held at the Norfolk Records Office. Might be helpful?

http://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/Dserve/dserve.exe?dsqServer=NCC3CL01&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=0&dsqSearch=(CatalogueRef=='SO 223')

David

Edited by DavidOwen

5 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Just had an obtuse thought, might Hamilton Wood have been the photographer?

Good thought.

Scan of back of photograph please!

David ... I returned to say "thanks" again because I think it could be that Hamilton Wood's father ... At this point, I think it could be Sydney Francis/Frank Wood :-)  He was born on 4 February 1896, in Norwich. His father Frank Harry Wood married Margaret Eaglesham HAMILTON in 1918 ... so I am conjuring up the scene of that photo (which could/should/does hold Sydney) being sent up to his family after it had been printed off ... members of which may have ended up referring to themselves unofficially as "Hamilton Wood".  

From the only identifiable man's service record (Private CHARLES SAUL), I know that the photograph, shown above, was taken between September 1914 and July 1915 and then they left 'Gostwycke' ... so the photo could have been taken to commemorate their departure and the photo sent through to the family.

Heather

17 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Scan of back of photograph please

Here is the label on the back, David ...

Gostwycke_PhotoBack.thumb.jpg.046243f99a9b241affbb61582c023eb9.jpg

8 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Another tenuous clue, this lady married a Hamilton (Bones) Wood and lived in Norwich.

Yes ... saw that ... !!??  

Frank Harry Wood married Margaret Eaglesham Hamilton had a son Sydney Ernest Hamilton Wood born 1918 so perhaps he is Hamilton (Bones) Wood and his age fits well with that Mauny, who was born in 1922 ... and have found the name as Hamilton-Wood ...

Edited by heatherannej

We are ratifying each other's research, David ... which means we are the right track I think.   I must look further into Sudney FrancisWood now, born 1896  :-) 

Edited by heatherannej

• Admin

That is looking good, David.  This Charles Saul IS on the photo ... do the two Medal cards demonstrate the two men could be together please?

Saul_Charles.jpg

• Admin

Heather

Sadly not as Wood was not apparently entitled to the star, so entered the conflict zone, after Dec 1915.

But that doesn't mean one didn't go overseas before the other. If you have Ancestry please check medal rolls for units (may not be detailed) and for any surviving service records?

I think it you can get access to the Old Comrades stuff in Norwich it would be useful to you.

David.

• Admin

Heather

Image below from Harts Army List for July 1915 shows the officers in 2nd East Anglian Field Ambulance

Regards

David

image.png.1a4f6d9cb19abb9eff03377628eb7011.png

• Admin

Here are some MICs I have found on Ancestry Free Access for those named officers

JMG Bremner

image.png.21c3cad195eb54e42eaa05ad184face1.png

image.png.c96f586b8efba264e37afd480883cfae.png

R Phillips

image.png.cde23a6e1d532bf9f1d03a6a544ad7da.png

referred to on second page as P Phillips?

image.png.588adc72d341a52756d345b90523f774.png

DW Boswell

image.png.09371405403c7dda7a9975cc057b8a6d.png

image.png.b189134fb00985654b6b202e794f2f58.png

TA Flynn

image.png.6bf07ec0a40370a6f1a60f45f5c54c30.png

image.png.e10fff4d6e36132c67dca03e1eb3610c.png

• Admin

....continued

BB Morgan (MID)

image.png.4eb4973dff518301b9e81a232739c447.png

image.png.f5b76cf8eb471d56bcdc3e34de7cf5c1.png

image.png.5b9279c2c265e313a3f501d7eb2d888f.png

image.png.a5fe5676d8a8ababe1fc744343c10162.png

EB Hinde (MID)

image.png.aaafe8cf8c2c8ffb17b6c991e8be9391.png

RS Mason (Quartermaster, MID)

image.png.1b8938765b5b64ca069855246c1802d2.png

image.png.7256dfd1b286df4b4a1f20e303e98498.png

Couldn't easily identify the others including, sadly, the Chaplain - although his service records survive at Kew.

Hope this hasn't distracted you too much!

And sincere apologies if you knew all this already!!!

David

Edited by DavidOwen

Thanks David .. "better to have them, than not" I say! :-)   I think I have (in no particular order!) 2 x Sgt; 1 Staff Sgt.; 1 Corporal; 1 Lieutenant Colonel; 3 x Lieutenants; 1 Major; 1 Captain; and 10 Privates in the photo ...  Anyway, lots to look into ... thanks for all the pointers and the trouble you have taken- it's appreciated. Heather

• Admin
4 minutes ago, heatherannej said:

Thanks David .. "better to have them, than not" I say! :-)   I think I have (in no particular order!) 2 x Sgt; 1 Staff Sgt.; 1 Corporal; 1 Lieutenant Colonel; 3 x Lieutenants; 1 Major; 1 Captain; and 10 Privates in the photo ...  Anyway, lots to look into ... thanks for all the pointers and the trouble you have taken- it's appreciated. Heather

More than welcome!