Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My latest treasure

museumtom

I know only too well what this badge is and was very fortunate to find it in Australia on the net.

Can anyone tell me what this badge is and why it is so special?

Best of luck.

Tom

post-23-1105555759.jpg

Tom

Fianna Fail by any chance?

I believe it to be the original badge adopted by the Irish Volunteers, and one that evolved into the Defence Force badge.

Rgds,

Grovetown.

Sheesh!!! that was too fast. My compliments!!. 10 out of 10.

Give that man a banana. I thought it would go on for at least two hours, but no....you destroyed my bubble. Its not only the original badge but an officers one to boot and to the Dublin Brigade!!

regards.

Tom

fortunate to find it in Australia on the net.

Did it belong to the "Wild Colonial Boy"?,I presume it is a Silver Badge?

I would imagine it to be exceedingly Scarce! ;)

If it could only speak!!!!.

Officers weere issued with white metal badges. As for rarity, I know of only two others in existance.

Ordinary ranks badges were brass.

Regards.

Tom.

Thanks for the blandishments Tom, and I'm sorry if I spoiled your fun prematurely. 'Twas an educated guess based on the FF and the Gaelic, and being a third generation 'plastic'.

Looking this up further, I intially thought that the legend on the belt was 'Oglaigh na hEireann', but to my eyes this doesn't appear to be so - can you tell us what it says?

Regards,

Grovetown.

It says, DRONG ATHA CLIATH, which means, the brigade of the hurdle ford, but to the sassanachs out there it means the Dublin Brigade.

Drong=Brigade

Atha=a ford

Cliath=hurdles, from the olden times when river fords were made from wickerwork.

Dublin has two Irish names, Baile Atha Cliath....town of the hurdle ford, and Duibh Lin, which means black pool, named after the cess pool at the mouth of the Liffey at the time.

Regards.

Tom.

Concerning badge collecting I only know of two, the second is the West Mayo Brigade.

regards.

Tom