Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18 Pr Shell markings

Hello all - we have an (empty used) 18 pr shell and was wondering if someone could help with the markings. I know CF is cordite and that there is a 1915 date along with 1914 date but would appreciate help with what’s what.

Family story that follows this is that my step mother in-laws grandfather brought it back with him, it has handles welded on the sides by a local man in France on his way back home.

Any info or direction to where I can find it would be great. Would also be interested to know what the gun(?) that fired it would have looked like.

03C59178-0BC6-4D2B-948A-DE07E008A3EB.jpeg

Looks like it was made by Kynoch, fitted with a No.I Mk.II primer made by Royal Laboratories of Woolwich, and never reloaded.

There's plenty on the net about the gun; this is as good a start as any:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_18-pounder

I don't know what the little anchor stamp means (Marines? RND?). If it was Naval issue, a stamped 'N' was usual - but AFAIK the 18-pr wasn't used by them.

Inspected and passed by inspector number 76 on 17 March 1915. A slightly odd gap in time given the 1914 manufacture date for the case.

It’s a MkII case and if made circa 1914/15 it was probably attached to a shrapnel shell.

39 minutes ago, peregrinvs said:

Inspected and passed by inspector number 76 on 17 March 1915. A slightly odd gap in time given the 1914 manufacture date for the case.

It’s a MkII case and if made circa 1914/15 it was probably attached to a shrapnel shell.

Nah, 'e wuz aht sick that day - No. 75 stood in for 'im. :D

1 hour ago, Bright said:

I’m intrigued by the anchor marking.

Probably an inspection station monogram.

• 5 years later...

I have the same 18pdr shell however mine has different markings and I'm wondering what they mean

IMG20240127151526.jpg