Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imbros

Chris Best

Pals,

Spending 6 nights, based in Eceabat, end of September 2018.  We’ll be doing the standard stuff achievable in 5 days and trying to see and understand as many Ottoman locations as we can.  I wonder, though, whether a day on Imbros would be worthwhile.  I haven’t been able to find a recommended itinerary yet.

I imagine a number of you have made the excursion.  Can I ask:

1.  How much time do you suggest spending on Imbros?

2.  Should we take our car or would it be better value to travel as foot passengers and hire a taxi for the duration?

3.  Can anyone suggest an itinerary?

4.  Are cafes/restaurants reasonable in quality, quantity and value?

Or would our time be better spent following specific actions in detail on the Peninsula?

Your advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Chris Best

Chris,

It's some years since I was there on a day trip with Len Sellers' RND tour, but it was certainly worth it for me
We took the ferry from Gaba Tepe and the view back to Anzac from the ship was very illuminating – seeing the white stones of the CWGC memorials, you realise then just how compact that battlefield was. And of course on the return journey, you get almost the same view of the ground as the lads did when they went in to land there.
The island itself is not large, though Kephalos is some way from the ferry harbour and taking you car is a good idea
Bern has been there much more recently and will have more up to date gen; if you can raise him (I understand that he is very busy for the next couple of weeks or so)
I think that he stayed-over on the island, which is something that I would love to do one day

I hope that everything works out for you and look forward to seeing some snaps here on the GWF when you return.

regards

Michael

Hi Chris, I've visited Imbros in 2016 and 2017, and will be there again in September.

Depending on your interest, a day trip, or one to three days should suffice. But you'll need some imagination, and some research, to get the most out of it. Happy to share what I've done via message/email.

If you have a car, take it over. There are not many taxis about, you'd need to organise one in advance, to meet you at the ferry.

The main town (Gökçeada) has quite a few restaurants and cafes. There are also places to eat at Kaleköy. I've not been but apparently there are some good taverna-style restaurants in the old Greek villages in the mountains. But the one I wanted to go to was closed in September, and you need a car to get there.

Thank you, Michael and b3rn - I’ll cost it out in time and cash.  This’ll be my 13th visit so it really is about time I got over there.  Mind you, I doubt 130 visits to Gallipoli would sate the appetite.  b3rn, thanks for the offer, I’ll message you tonight.

Chris

Now, that makes me want to go more than ever.  Subject to my fellow travellers’ agreement, Imbros it is for a day.

thanks.