Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Centenary Cemetery Commemoration

verdun

I thought members might be interested to know that my wife and I travelled to Perreuse Franco British National Cemetery on 13th August to mark the centenary of the death of Great Uncle Harold Bryant.

2/Lt. Bryant was an observer in a DH9, piloted by an American airman, Lt. Frank Beaufort.  Their machine was damaged by AA fire and collided with another DH9, piloted by 2/Lt. Herrick Leyden and Sgt. Alan Windridge, his observer. Both machines crashed to the ground and all four men were killed.

We kept a vigil in the cemetery for the duration of their last flight and laid wreaths on all four graves. We held a two minutes' silence at the approximate time of their deaths and recited 'The Exhortation'. Harold was only 19 years and five months old when he died, but we honoured him and paid our respects to all four men.

I would love to get in touch with the families of the other three airmen, if anyone can help. Also, I would like to contact any descendants of Kurt Monnington, the German ace who was firing at Uncle Harold's DH9 at the time it was hit and who claimed credit for bringing down both aircraft.

Any contact information gratefully received,  PeterDSCN9394.thumb.JPG.a4c9ec7fdc2bf0d76339bd5cded7bef2.JPG

Edited by verdun
correction of typo