Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary for the Mesopotamia Line of Communication, ADMS Base, Basra (WO 95/5238/3)

PJS

I have transcribed the War Diary for the Mesopotamia Line of Communication, ADMS Base, Basra (WO 95/5238/3), January 1, 1916 to October 31, 1916.  Mainly because much of the handwriting was so bad that I couldn’t read it well enough to get anything coherent out of it.  I have done my best to get the name of Ships, Officers, Places & Medical Terminology correct but if anyone has a look and has any obvious corrections or comments please do post them so I can update my master document.

If you are interested, you can download the transcription here: MESOPOTAMIA LINE OF COMMUNICATION - ADMS BASE WO 95-5238-3.pdf

There's a useful Map of Basra and Magil here: Map of BASRA & MAGIL

As a simple index, the diary contains cameo appearances for the following People, Diseases, Ships:
1.    Sir Victor Horsley, Sir William Vincent & General Bingley (of the Vincent‐Bingley Commission), Sir Percy Lake, Sir John Nixon. Nursing Sister BLACKLOCK QAIMNS/R.

2.    Cholera, Plague (Bubonic), Dysentery, Sandfly Fever, Typhus Fever, Relapsing Fever, Measles, Cerebrospinal Meningitis, Scurvy, Heatstroke, etc.

3.    ALNWICK CASTLE, HT ARANCOLA, HT ARONDA, ARDLUI, HS ASSAYE, BAHMASHIR, BANDRA, BANKURA, HT BASPETA, HRS BLOSS LYNCH,  CHAKDARA, CHILKA, CHAKDARA, CITY OF NEWCASTLE, HRS COROMANDEL, HS DEVANHA, SS ECLUARD, EDAVANA, HT EDEREMBA, HRS EKMA, HT ELLENGA, HT ELEPHANTA, HT ERINPURA, HS GASCON, GLENART CASTLE, HT GRAMPIAN, ITAURA, HRS JULNAR, KALYAN, SS KARADENIZ, HT KHOSRU, HS LOYALTY, HS MADRAS, HRS MALAMIR, HT MARATHON, HRS MEJIDIEH, MOSUL, HT MUTTRA, HT NILE, HT PENTAKOTA, HT PERSIA, HT PUMEA, HRS SALIMI, HS SICILIA, HRS SIKKIM, HS SYRIA, HS TAKADA, HT TEESTA, THONGWA, VARELA, HT VITA, HT VARSOVA, WESSEX.

My interest is that I am trying to find evidence of RAMC presence in Persia in 1916 and this war diary is just one of the threads that I have followed.

Peter

Edited by PJS
Typos & Corrections

Peter,

This is very useful, thanks for sharing with us.

I think that Capt. WERSICHE? IMS [April 29] could be Capt. [Frank Phillips] WERNICKE IMS. My source is the Roll of the Indian Medical Service, on Ancestry.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

4 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

I think that Capt. WERSICHE? IMS [April 29] could be Capt. [Frank Phillips] WERNICKE IMS. My source is the Roll of the Indian Medical Service, on Ancestry.

Alf, I think you may be right, see below ...

Wernicke.PNG.e4135f4351198712cbe63a1cdef9baf1.PNG

My expectation is that Officer's names written in cursive are the most likely things to be mangled. I will update the PDF shortly.

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

For August 21st '{8am?}' should perhaps be Sany. {for Sanitary}. You have some question marks at various dates after Captain Perry's name. Perhaps these should also be 'Sany.'

Regards,

Alf McM

1 hour ago, alf mcm said:

Peter,

For August 21st '{8am?}' should perhaps be Sany. {for Sanitary}. You have some question marks at various dates after Captain Perry's name. Perhaps these should also be 'Sany.'

Regards,

Alf McM

Alf, 

Yes, right again!  PDF has been updated.

Thanks

Peter

The following available online has some references to the RAMC in North Persia

From the Gulf to the Caspian : being the souvenir booklet of the 33rd. Motor Ambulance Convoy which served in Mesopotamia and North Persia, 1916 to 1919 written by various members of the unit who remain anonymous. [1920?] State Library of Victoria. This Unit consisted of Army Service Corps personnel, together with Royal Army Medical Corps personnel.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen. Certainly was a very interesting read. It's really useful to get a more personal perspective on places and conditions that are referenced in a war diary. A little disappointing their arrival was not listed in the ADMS war diary.

My interest in the RAMC in Persia is strictly in 1916 so the 33rd MAC's presence in 1918 is outside my scope. I am currently thinking that my grandfather's RAMC section was possibly in Mohammerah for a short while. The ADMS war diary references the British convalescent camp that opened there in October but I think that he was in Persia prior to August, possibly May or earlier. Anyway, all that is for another post.

Peter

Some outstanding question marks ...

May 4th

"Also impressed on him the necessity for getting into personal touch with various departments, S&T, foll?, Field Park, etc. and not to write letters to me on every petty affair that turns up"

may-4th.PNG.fcc20823656aeb9ddc10748222736bff.PNG

May 5th

"GASCON is still stuck at MOHAMMERAH, so we have had to load sick on the BANDRA, ? Staff, etc. & send her down to tranship to the GASCON."

may-5th.PNG.0a2f0e12f94396886119d7b655c3bbf7.PNG

May 24th

"On 23rd April I cabled Kass?li for 50,000 double doses & on 25th April for 30,000 double doses; and again on 5th May I cabled for 50,000 doses. None of these have been received so far."

may-24th.PNG.bcecbe07d50323ce042a41cbe2593f8e.PNG

May 29th

"Borrowed a launch from Gen COOPER? AQMG & so was able to visit the Infectious Hospital at Quarantine Island, where they have had 86 cases of Cholera to date, with 27 deaths."

may-29th.PNG.83099b17b06a210aa1c8a3f746462c4b.PNG

Sept 6th

"I visited 6th Jats at SERAI & in BASRA Port this evening found the men very debilitated & many with a scorbutic ?nt, so have recommended an extra vegetable portion, total 1lb mixed vegetables only."

sep-6th.PNG.5082f86a16695fa1eca10c96623cf464.PNG

Peter

can't help

BANDRA, ? Staff, etc. & send her down to tranship to the GASCON." - for the Staff (or stuff?)

can't help

Gen COOPER? AQMG  - General Cowper was Assistant Quarter Master General, cf. Paul Knight's The British Army in Mesopotamia, 1914-1918 (2013).

scorbutic ?nt,  - scorbutic taint - and it should be vegetable ration not portion.

Best wishes,

sJ

15 minutes ago, seaJane said:

can't help

BANDRA, ? Staff, etc. & send her down to tranship to the GASCON." - for the Staff (or stuff?)

can't help

Gen COOPER? AQMG  - General Cowper was Assistant Quarter Master General, cf. Paul Knight's The British Army in Mesopotamia, 1914-1918 (2013).

scorbutic ?nt,  - scorbutic taint - and it should be vegetable ration not portion.

Best wishes,

sJ

Thank you seaJane.  I just updated the PDF with your corrections (Cowper/Scorbutic taint/ration).

Peter

2 hours ago, PJS said:

I cabled Kass?li f

Kasauli (Ithink- it was a British station not far from Simla)

looks probable. wiki gives this:

The Central Research Institute (CRI), originally the Pasteur Institute of India, was established at Kasauli in 1904 under its first director Sir David Semple, as an institute working in the fields of immunology and virological research.[2]

Edited by charlie962

Last one for today ..

Mar 25th
Telegram from Chief of General Staff Officer; Appointment of Lt. Colonel P COLLINS, RAMC as ADMS Base, & Lt. Colonel WOODRICH, RAMC as O.C. Br?

mar-25th.PNG.fa050b67b3802b1995b3ab5887dadf04.PNG

Do we know Lt. Col WOODRICH, RAMC?

31 minutes ago, PJS said:

Lt. Col WOODRICH, RAMC?

may be Lt Col William Arthur Woodside RAMC ? (he was 7th Meerut Div 1912)

In 1917 he was MiD for Mespot campaign (and subsequently got a DSO)             248565282_WoodsideWARAMCarmylist1940.JPG.2f9c23c5291aa699425bfef397e1eead.JPG

Edited by charlie962

O C is certainly Officer Commanding.

Bat'n?

13 hours ago, charlie962 said:

may be Lt Col William Arthur Woodside RAMC ? (he was 7th Meerut Div 1912)

In 1917 he was MiD for Mespot campaign (and subsequently got a DSO)             248565282_WoodsideWARAMCarmylist1940.JPG.2f9c23c5291aa699425bfef397e1eead.JPG

13 hours ago, charlie962 said:

got me there. looks like British but doesn't make sense ?

12 hours ago, seaJane said:

O C is certainly Officer Commanding.

Bat'n?

Charlie is obviously correct that it is referring to Lt Col William Arthur Woodside, RAMC. 

My first impression on reading the word was that it was "British" and I then also tried to make Bat'n fit, like seaJane. But I keep coming back to "British".  I compared it to previous writing and I'm 99% sure it is "British".  Charlie noted that Woodside was 7th Meerut (in 1912) and in Medical Services General History, Vol IV pg 225 it says, "By April 1916 ... 7th (Meerut) Division contained: Nos. 19 and 20 British Field Ambulances; Nos. 128, 129 and 130 Indian Field Ambulances".  I wonder if the DADMS thought that it was "obvious" that Lt. Col Woodside had been appointed C.O. of the British Sections of the Medical Services of the 7th Meerut Div?

I have updated the PDF.

Peter

• 3 months later...
  • Admin
2 hours ago, AlisonK said:

Is there a diary record for the Assaye for 1918?  My grandfather was on board in October with malaria and it would be good to get more information. Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum

If you use the National Archives advanced search form http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/advanced-search and search for ship assaye British it will give you a list of admission /  discharge registers but sadly not yet digitised. There are 2 diaries which are but 1917 and 1919+.

You may wish to start a new thread in the shops section to see if an expert can help more.

regards

David

Just found this other thread which may help?

• 1 year later...
On 21/08/2018 at 01:31, Maureene said:

The following available online has some references to the RAMC in North Persia

From the Gulf to the Caspian : being the souvenir booklet of the 33rd. Motor Ambulance Convoy which served in Mesopotamia and North Persia, 1916 to 1919 written by various members of the unit who remain anonymous. [1920?] State Library of Victoria. This Unit consisted of Army Service Corps personnel, together with Royal Army Medical Corps personnel.

Cheers

Maureen

just purchased this title it contains a surprising amount of information as well as some good photographs etc