Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private William John Price

I am trying to find out more about my great-grandfather's war service.  I have found his medal card by searching on the National Archives and Ancestry.co.uk websites.  His regiments and service numbers are listed as: 6R Royal Warwickshire (4564), 15R Royal Warwickshire (241315), 101Bn Machine Gun Corps (156648), Royal Fusiliers (GS/112719).  He is also included in the Times injury list with shell shock in August 1916, but despite this he continued serving until the end of the war.  He appears on the Absent Voters list (Devon Street, Birmingham) in 1918.

I would be grateful if anyone has any further information, for example where would he have fought during the war? 

Edited by Guest

Hi and welcome to the forum

A listing is HERE on the Long Long Trail site, with further links you can follow.

Regards

Jon

Hello Amanda,

You've done some good research. To go with the casualty listing there is a Hospital Admissions Record (Try Forces War Records or FindmyPast) which will give additional info:

W J Price
Private  4564
Years Service:  1 Year                        (ie enlisted c. July 1915)
Months With Field Force:  5 Months   (ie went overseas c; Feb 1916)
(W) Shock shell
Admitted 34 CCS
Date of Admission for Original Ailment:  20/07/1916
Date Transferred to Sick Convoy:  20/07/1916
No. 116 temporary ambulance train.

Royal Warwickshire Regiment    
6th Battalion
A Company, 48th Division

Charlie

edit:  just to explain that the Daily Casualty List was typically published about four weeks after the actual wounding.

Edited by charlie962

You can also search for war diaries on National Archives, but don't use the suffix of "th" after battalion number eg 1/6 Royal Warwickshire - see HERE

Then if you have Ancestry access search the diaries just using the reference number eg 2755/2   (omit the WO 95) on Ancestry HERE in the keyword field

Edited by jonbem

The War Diary for Ancestry for 1/6th Warwickshires on 20/7/16 is here. On 19/7/16 the Bn was being relieved by the 1/5th Gloc and 16 ORs were wounded. That may be the incident ?

Edited by charlie962
correction of date

Thank you both for this information; I have learnt a little more about my great-grandfather.  Is there any way I can find out how long he was at the 34th CCS for and whether he returned to the UK for treatment or sent back to the front?

Edited by Guest