Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 medal suspension bars

depaor01

Hi all,

I wanted to mount my grand uncle's medals. Swing mount, nothing fancy.

I'm having difficulty finding the right width bar. Thought I'd found one today but nope... Victory ribbon width seems to be the problem.

Help!

Thanks,

Dave

20180818_161826.jpg

Most modern British medals take a ribbon that is around 32mm wide, which is the same as used on the 1914 and 1914-15 Star and BWM, the VM ribbon being wider at around 39mm. Original period medal mounting brooches for the standard trio take this into account, as per this Ebay example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-WW1-WW2-Medal-Ribbon-Mounting-Bar-Brooch-Full-Size-3-Spaces-XY77-/123144383950?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Note the deliberately wider slot viewers right for the VM ribbon. This is the sort you really need to look out for to avoid creasing the ribbons to fit. They do turn up occasionally, but being rarer than the modern narrower width examples they tend to be snapped up quickly.

s-l500[1].jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

Thanks lads. I didn't want creasing and now I know I need a period bar to accommodate the VM ribbon.

Cheers,

Dave

• 5 years later...
On 19/08/2018 at 12:01, depaor01 said:

Thanks lads. I didn't want creasing and now I know I need a period bar to accommodate the VM ribbon.

Cheers,

Dave

So to revive an older thread, as I just joined the forum recently.
Dave, did you find the right brooch/bar? I am going through the same process with my GF's WW1 RFC/RAF and his WW2 medals.. The VM creates a dilemma and I also do not want it bunched up. I just need a 5 spacer but the VM is giving me grief!

1 hour ago, TimS68 said:

So to revive an older thread, as I just joined the forum recently.
Dave, did you find the right brooch/bar? I am going through the same process with my GF's WW1 RFC/RAF and his WW2 medals.. The VM creates a dilemma and I also do not want it bunched up. I just need a 5 spacer but the VM is giving me grief!

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately impossible to find from personal experience.  I'm surprised some enterprising metalwork entrepreneurs haven't filled that gap, but I've only been able to find equal width ribbon bars. The VM grief is common I'd reckon. 

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I have medals on their original bar and they don't fit either, the ribbons overhang.

Overhanging ribbon.jpeg