Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

number 14 ambulance train

BIFFO

did this ambulance train have its own route ?,

I have a chap gsw to arm,put on number 14,I am trying to find out where he would have been taken,I have read somewhere that a few medical,hospital and ambulance train records didn't join the burnt records,where would one find these ?

records

:poppy:

Sadly, 14 AT is not one of those that escaped. It does however have a diary in WO95, not digitised. If you have the date and man's details I may have something in DDMS or DMS diaries.

TEW

• Admin

I have downloaded a number of AT war diaries over the years - they go all over the place (as & when needed) rather than staying on a specific route.

14 Ambulance Train war diary here (spliced under various date ranges):

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ser=WO+95&id=C14303&_q=14+ambulance+train

Edited by RussT

Biffo,

Rather an oddity this one. I have tables of Ambulance, Barge & MAC movements for 4th Army from July to Oct 1916. I'm certain your man is 1/2 Monmouths (renumbered later to 265666, discharged Aug 1917) which puts him in a Pioneer Battalion of 29th Division, which In July 1916 was VIII Corps, 4th Army. So, technically I should have the details for 14 AT for 13th-17th July 1916. However, the image below for 24/7/1916 is the first instance for 14 AT.

14at.jpg.ed28f3a8e1bea3c713d1f2950a20431c.jpg

Your PM does indeed look like a Forces War Record transcription from MH106. I do sometimes find their order of dates/events confusing as we have 'DATE TRANSFERED FROM SICK CONVOY 13-7-16' and then 'DATE TRANSFERED TO SICK CONVOY  17-7-16' followed by 'DAYS OF TREATMENT 5, TO N0 14 AMBULANCE TRAIN'. One would think he was wounded 13/7/1916 but transfered from Sick Convoy to where on that date? 13th July to 17th July seems to cover the 5 days treatment but I have nothing for 14 AT until 24/7/1916.

Not sure where you got the FWR transcription from but their transcriptions have a full MH106 reference that would show which Field Ambulance or CCS Admin/Discharge book the info comes from which would help to work out which CCS group he would have been sent to. Can you find this MH106 Ref?

I can see from 1/2 Monmouths & 29 Div. ADMS diaries that they were working on New Firing Lines not far from Hawthorn Ridge and suffering daily casualties. He was not far from an ADS based in Auchonvillers.

4th Army DMS diary does show numerous AT problems for July 1916, they hadn't scheduled enough trains to cope with the numbers. Extra trains were being ordered up, then too many would turn up at once, some broke down and blocked the line. So possibly, the tables I have are incomplete or typoes with train numbers were made.

TEW

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Can you find this MH106 Ref?

Might the version on FindmyPast, where you get to see the original ledger, show other trfs to the Train at that time that might help clarify ?

Just now, BIFFO said:

Thank you Tew, as per LLT the 1st Monmouth's were with 84 Brigade,28th division,may 15 amalgamated with the 2nd-3rd batt at vlamertinghe

3rd September 15 they did indeed become a pioneer regiment. My man

Godfrey Charles Smith,his mic says he was  only entitled to bwm-vm,his original number 2711,he renumbered to 225931 as per his med/roll,

I think I have lead you up the garden path im afraid,my next project also a 1st Monmouth is the chap who when wounded boarded number 14 at.

the odd thing about godfrey smith,he enlisted into the 1st Monmouth's 2nd September 14,yet his mic says he was only entitled to bwm-vm,not 15 star ?.I cannot findout when he posted to France

he left 9 march 1919 from  235 T.F. depot (NEPORT ?) aged 22.awarded a silver war badge I think either B or 3278728

sorry for the confusion  :wub:

Charlie im not a member of fmp either just  ancestry,which shows nowt,in fact the 1911 census has him down with a different name and birth year ?.,good job I know the name  of  his father,mother and brother

:poppy:

I've been checking for 2496 JJ Morgan, 1/2 Monmouths who I'm sure were 29th Div. VIII corps. I've since discovered that VIII Corps moved from 4th Army to Reserve army during 1st week of July 1916 which explains the absence of 14 AT from the tables.

I did check the MH106 records on fmp with no luck. I think fwr have larger coverage and fmp are a work in progress. Getting the mh106 ref would seriously help.

TEW

Not to worry. As far as Morgan and 14 AT is concerned I suspect the MH106 ref would point to either 3 ( Puchevillers) or 11 (Doullens) CCSs as these are the only ones receiving VIII Corps wounded and have a surviving MH106 record.

TEW

:thumbsup: