Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC 's for Sailors

stephenh

Pals

I have been wondering lately, does there exist a nominal roll for RN sailors, (similar to an MIC), who served during the Great War. The reason I ask is that I have in my collection a LSGC to AB John Allen HMS DEFENCE, and as I was trawling through my local newspaper archive the other day on a completely different project, I came across the picture of a sailor John Allen, with the same birthplace and almost the same length of service in the Royal Navy. Could this be the one and the same man I have in my collection?

Stephen

Naval medal rolls exist, listing RN personnel in receipt of WW1 medals (28 days' service sufficed, so virtually all).

These can be accessed both via service number and/or name (latter only might be a little more labour intensive), and most researchers should offer this service for about the same price as an MIC.

Service papers (ADM188) are also readily available, and can often be had for less than an Army equivalent. (PM for a researcher's email.)

Richard

Is there any consistency in what RN MICs are available, Ian, or just a few as a result of administrative errors, attachment to the Army etc.? (E.g. sailors of the RND, RNAS.)

Richard

Thank you gents for your help. Will be taking my annual trip to Kew in a few months and will certainly have a look for what is available.

Stephen

Stephen

If he qualified for WWI medals (and service on ‘stone frigates’ seems to have qualified naval personnel for the BWM), then you should find his entitlement in ADM 171/94. If you post his service number, I can locate the ADM 188 (service record) volume for you.

If he served on too many ships to fit on the page (originally around A2 size), the clerks often continued at the end of another rating’s record, if they had served for only a short stint, and left a note ‘see n’ or if they started a new page ‘see no 4 at the end’ ie a page numbered 4 at the end of the original book/folio.

Fred