Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr Walter E Odell 34 Brigade RFA

Anthony Ewen

I am researching Gnr (later Corpl) Walter E Odell (68939) of 34 Brigade RFA.  His records are among those destroyed in WW2 but from letters home I believe he was a regular prior to outbreak of the war and was in France from the commencement of hostilities and involved at Mons and the Aisne (where he was wounded in Sept).  He was awarded DCM in November.  In May 1915 in response to a question from home if 'he was in the gas zone' he replied that he was 'behind the French soldiers who caught the full impact' but he and his comrades were 'on their backs' for a while as a result. He was wounded a further three times but survived the war and was awarded MM in June 1918 on the Italian Front and served on a total of four fronts during the war.

Can anyone help with likely movements of this soldier and brigade through the war?

Was his middle name Eli from Newport, Hampshire?

Welcome to the GWF!

edit - I see from a Medal Roll it is.

There is a post war record for him with the number 1007690. This shows he enlisted 24/2/1912 on a 6/6 ( 6 years with the colours, 6 in Reserve). The important thing here is that his records may still exist and still be held by MOD.  This is because he served in the 1920s.

You can apply with a fee for details. These docs have often been weeded.

The record indicates France 1914-17 but does not mention Italy

The  1914 Star Roll shows he went to France on 16/8/1914. He appears in the roll of the 2nd Divisional Artillery and 22nd Battery RFA.

Struggling to find a DCM or MM for him at the moment.

Edited by Mark1959

He was indeed in 22nd Battery.  The unit records [there are diaries for 34 Brigade and 22 Bty] do not record his wounding by name.. .[there were 75 men wounded by end of September in 34 Bde ]. A record of 4/11/1914 records that he had become a Bombardier, [as he was replaced as Bdr by a Bdr Fullan on that date.. which probably suggests he was still with the 22nd Bty about then.... ]. I have not found his name on casualty lists of 1914..

If he was still with the same Battery.. [maybe not..] .. On 5th Feb 1915 the 22nd Battery was transferred to 28th Division artillery and left 34th Brigade..on 20th Feb it joined 3rd Brigade RFA.. In October 1915 the Division went to Egypt.. and arrived Salonika in Jan 1916. 22nd Battery moved to 130th Brigade RFA 20 July 1916.. which stayed in Salonika I believe.. . if he went to Italy that would be with another unit. It would be very possible that he was sick/wounded in Salonika and was evacuated, and later posted to another unit..

His name does not appear on the list of RFA/RHA DCMs .. as far as I can see

Hi,

Findmypast have a hospital admission/ discharge register record for Walter, which shows that in the summer of 1916 he was in 28 General Hospital (Salonika) suffering from "hammer toe". At that time he is listed as a corporal with his unit noted as "84 S.A.A.C." - presumably Small Arms Ammunition Column.

Regards

Chris

I also see his RA Attestation shows France 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917, and Italy 1917-18.. and wounded 29/10/1918, but no mention of Salonika for some reason..

I am very grateful for all your responses - all terrific for me - and I apologise for the slow reply due to router collapse and loss of internet!

He certainly was from Newport Isle of Wight but I had no idea that his middle name was Eli.

All of the movements begin to make some sense.  The references to DCM and MM come from reports in the local Isle of Wight newspaper that carried many stories of Island men in their service during the war.

Thanks again

Tony Ewen

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all for advice and suggestions.  Have obtained service records following his re-enlistment after the war and delighted to say they contained the war service information so can now clarify service as follows:

Enlisted 24 February 1912

To France as Gunner with 22 Battery 34 Brigade 18 August 1914

Transferred 10 149 Battery 16 February 1915

With 75 Battery embarks with Med Expeditionary Force at Marseilles 16 November 1915, landing Salonika 28 November

Posted to 146 Brigade SAAC Salonika 11 March 1916

After various hospitalisations May - July 1916, invalided to England August 1916

Home service (Base) 12 October 1916 - 27 April 1917

To France 28 April - 6 November 1917

BEF Italy 7 November 1917 - 2 December 1918 (A/102 Brigade 4 January 1918, wounded 29 October 1918)

Home 3 December 1918 - 8 March 1919 - transferred to Reserve until June 1921

Still no record of DCM or MM reported in local newspaper.

(Note: Re-engaged 1924 - 1932 and re-enlisted in 219 (Isle of Wight) AA Battery, Royal regiment of Artillery.  Re-engaged 1939 and was wounded in action at Hayling April 1941 and finally released to Reserve September 1945, after some 33 years service)

Tony Ewen

• 1 year later...

Have attached an image of a Walter E. Odell's name as found in the roll of individuals entitled to the Silver War Badge if of interest. 

Odell.jpg