Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental aid posts

ZIL

It's rather difficult to find the RAPs just from names of places. I have no idea which battalions and therefore which divisions were on these trenches 1/7/1916. Or indeed if there was more than one division.

There is a good map at 1:10,000 with British trenches corrected to 11/6/1916 on McMaster.

If you can come back with a battalion or division or the identity of an individual it would make life much easier.

I could make a guess at 34th Division in which case I could ID the locations of 4 x 'Combined Battle Aid Posts' which would be identifiable on the above McMaster Map.

TEW

Thanks Tew,

my mistake..it was the 34th Division  the 21st,22nd & 27th Northumberland Fusiliers in particular.i appreciate the 10th Lincs & 15/16Royal Scots were also involved. Any  help with locations would greatly assist I do have the map you indicate.

Thanks again.

Z

Z,

21 & 22 Northumberland Fusiliers were with 102nd Infantry Brigade.

27 Northumberland Fusiliers were with 103rd Infantry Brigade.

102 Infantry Brigade HQ diary has a set of orders for dated 18/6/1916 that gives RAPs for all of that Brigade. No details given for battalion specific RAPs. If you plot these out and compare to the start locations for 21 & 22 NF you'd have a better idea which RAPs were used by those battalions.

102.jpg.6563098e3c1de25a59567994918be183.jpg

103 Brigade's orders are dated 21/6/1916 and give the following position for the RAP concerning 27 Northumberland Fusiliers. It reads a bit odd to me - Junction of Becourt Avenue Tara - Usna line with Becourt Avenue.

103.jpg.ea11fded3ddbb4ef5bc8264529d90aa5.jpg

The medical arrangements for both Brigades are quite lengthy and can be accessed via ancestry if you have a subscription?

The above are just snippets, there were of course plans to have advanced RAPs as far as Contalmaison as the day went on.

Then there are the 'Combined Battle Aid Posts' mentioned by the ADMS of 34 division and by 103 Brigade. Not totally sure what these are, they lie between the RAPs and the dressing stations.

TEW

Thanks Tew....cannot thank you enough.

very comprehensive.....most useful...can plot these easily on the appropriate map.

I’ll try and translate the RAP for 27th NF!!!!! 

The TRAM reference is very interesting.

regards,

ZIL

Zil,

I did originally find a map of RAPs in III Corps DDMS diary, not at a good scale and not showing any precision but perhaps it may assist. It is a map showing medical units of III Corps on 30/6/1916. The Blue parts show those for 34 Division, dots are RAPS, triangles are ADSs manned by the numbered field ambulances.

TEW

3ddms.jpg.a732eaf255af2d45f9ee1f2c1946b86e.jpg

Thanks once again....this is a new area of approach for me and it’s amazing what other detail is included particularly in the FA diaries...some have incredible detail.

Zil