Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Raid, St.Floris Sector 25-26th June 1918

simond9x

I hope this is the correct forum for this. I'm researching a friend's great uncle who was killed during a raid on the German trenches during the night of 25-26th June 1918.He was aged 19 and in the 1/East Lancs. Unfortunately, his service records do not survive so I'm struggling a little to 'flesh out' his story for his family. I have the regimental diary for June 1918 which gives a brief description of the raid and that 4 soldiers went missing, assumed dead (my further assumption being that he was one of them as the Register of Effects says 'Death Presumed'). I'm posting this in case anyone might have any other source of information concerning this trench raid or indeed just general information on the 1/East Lancs during June 1918 (over and above what's held in the regimental diary). Many thanks for any info provided.

Mike..... good grief, that was quick! Yes, it is indeed the man I'm researching, thanks. This is only the second time I've attempted to research an individual soldier so if you can point me at any other sources of information, I'd be extremely grateful (I couldn't find his service record online).

Could you tell me what the card represents and what the acronyms mean..... F.s.D.?  P.O. 2/6 ?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by simond9x

Hi Simon, I can't see a service record, possibly it did not survive the Blitz.

The 183rd Infantry Brigade diary has some details on the raid, if you haven't seen it. I just looked at this page there may be more information. Worth checking the 61st (2nd South Midland) Division as well.

Mike

The 61st Divisional Diary also has some details. Worth searching thoroughly. The month of July seems to be filed before June so might pay to search well either side of this page if the diary has been mixed up.

One of our Forum colleagues has come up with this excellent Trench Map Coordinates website. you can study the coordinates given in the diaries to get a clearer picture of where the raid took place. TMAPPER

As ever, the Long Long Trail the best site bar none to study all aspects of WW1

Mike

51 minutes ago, simond9x said:

Could you tell me what the card represents and what the acronyms mean..... F.s.D.?  P.O. 2/6 ?

Do not know what F.S.D. is and am not certain about P.O. 2/6 possibly Post Office Telegram sent or received 2nd June

Mike

Thanks (again!), Mike.

I’ve scanned in a detailed trench map of the area around, and east of, St Loris and a modern equivalent from Google Maps which should help his family get a good approximation on where he disappeared.

Very grateful for your help on this.

Regards

Simon

A final question, if I may. I was hoping to find out when he attested by entering service numbers either side of his (31600) until I found records which still exist. A little confused by the multiple records which come up for each number (indeed there are many with his, but sadly not him). I can see that 5 digits isn't enough to account for the millions of men who enlisted so could anyone tell me how the numbers were allocated please and if/how I could narrow down my searching? Thanks

1 minute ago, DavidOwen said:

This needs Craig or someone with similar skills and access to look at Soldiers Effects and work backwards from the gratuity to estimate enlistment date... @ss002d6252 please!

I'll take a look.

Craig

It appears to be a rare error in the effects date

image.png.7124cbeb393c7c7fe80e4e274d205ffc.png

He received a war gratuity of £5 which was the flat rate for 12 months or less qualifying service. It does however appear to exposed a possible bug in my gratuity calculator, however, so useful in that respect !

https://wargratuity.uk/war-gratuity-calculator/

Craig

image.png

Edited by ss002d6252

1 minute ago, DavidOwen said:

Craig, as always you are a star.

David

Ignore that initial calculation image please David, it shows an error in my calculator I think.

Craig