Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible project?

hannah

This would be a Big project but would need to be done only once. Could efforts be made to list all the names on all the memorials in the UK, possibly cross referencing to CWGC details? It would take a lot of time and organisation but it would be a unique link with the past and show that the men are not forgotten

Guest Pete Wood

Hi Hannah

It is already in progress. Have a look at http://collections.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.00g00c

The memorials also include Boer War and other war memorials.

I was at their offices recently, doing some research, and found they now have details on about 58,000 memorials (from an estimated 85,000 memorials). The estimated date of completion is about 10-15 years (at the present rate).

They are currently working out a way for volunteers to add to, and/or update, their database. The project has been ongoing for quite a long time, now - and, sadly, some of their images leave a lot to be desired (pics were taken before digital cameras became widely available and are out of focus or grainy etc).

Once the field-workers' reporting method has been sorted, I have asked the NIoWM to post something on the forum - so members can get involved.

Pete

:)

Guest Pete Wood

Sorry. I should have made it clearer.

They are recording (where known) the architect, date of construction, photos/newspaper clippings of the period, present day photos.....

....and the names of those on the memorials.

:)

Guest Pete Wood

There is a particular shortage of volunteers, apparently, in Scotland and Ireland. Fieldworkers, there, would be welcomed with open arms.