Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Connaught Ranger Wounded 1915

R M Oconnor41

Evening,

please may I ask for some assistance?

I am very lucky to have a complete copy of my Grandfather's military record, well almost.

9011 John Henry O'Connor 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers was wounded on 26th April 1915 on Mauser Ridge outside Ypres.

His record shows GSW thigh.....and that's all the medical information I have, apart from half an address on a postcard which reads

Corpl J O'Connor

1st Conn Rangers

Red Cross Hospital

Supper Room Ward

D

Is it normal for there to be no hospital record with the soldiers record?

Any help gratefully received.

With thanks

Richard

7 minutes ago, R M Oconnor41 said:

Evening,

please may I ask for some assistance?

I am very lucky to have a complete copy of my Grandfather's military record, well almost.

9011 John Henry O'Connor 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers was wounded on 26th April 1915 on Mauser Ridge outside Ypres.

His record shows GSW thigh.....and that's all the medical information I have, apart from half an address on a postcard which reads

Corpl J O'Connor

1st Conn Rangers

Red Cross Hospital

Supper Room Ward

D

Is it normal for there to be no hospital record with the soldiers record?

Any help gratefully received.

With thanks

Richard 

Soldier's records have generally been well weeded over the years. The odd service record retains a good set of hospital notes (I have seen the odd with temperature charts etc etc) but it's rare overall.

Craig

Just in case you don't have this he was listed as wounded in The Times of 25/05/1915, 'under date May 8th'. I should be able to find the image if you want a copy?

John

• 1 year later...

If you know the Medical Unit he was treated in you could check with the Wellcome Foundation who hold many of the RAMC Admission and Discharge books 

2 hours ago, jflood said:

If you know the Medical Unit he was treated in you could check with the Wellcome Foundation who hold many of the RAMC Admission and Discharge books 

I've never seen A&D books on Wellcome, they tend to have private collections, personal diaries, photo albums, memoirs etc.

Richard, I'm intrigued by his military record as I can't find one online. Sometimes there are some very minimal, jargon entries that might ID a hospital or other medical aspects.

Do you know which Red Cross H he wrote from?

TEW