Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Defence Corps

Guest suzanne27

Guest suzanne27

Hello

Does anyone know anything about the Royal Defence Corps, am I right in believing they were the WW1 equiv of the Home Guard.

Does anyone know if they would hold records of service at the PRO for serving men?

many thanks if anyone can help.

The Royal Defence Corps was formed in August 1917 from the Home Service Garrison Battalions of 18 Regiments. It was made up of old soldiers who were beyond the age set for combatant service, or those who were not fit for duty overseas, sometimes as the result of wounds received on active service. The Corps was similar in some ways to the Home Guard of the Second World War. Its job was to guard railways, tunnels, roads and ports, thus relieving other troops for front line service.

Regards

William

Just to add to William's posting, the Great War equivalent of the Home Guard was the Volunteer Force. I think the main difference was that the battalions of the Royal Defence Corps could be posted throughout the nation, but that Volunteer Force was strictly a local defence organisation.

Regards,

Wienand

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The Volunteer Force also wore the General Service cap badge whilstr the RDC had their own cap badge, infact it was changed in 1918.

The main difference is that the RDC was whole time service in wartime and the volunteers were part time. The RDC grew out of the National Reserve which formed supernumerary companies to Territorial units.

The Home Guard was therefore the volunteers successors, the RDC returned to the Regiments in WW2 and formed the 30th Bn of most line Regiments. In the inter war period they were renamed the National Defence Companies

Gents,

There was very interesting article in 'Stand To!', the magazine of the Western Front Association a short while back. I don't have access to it at present, being at work, but it is well worth a read for anyone with an interest in this area.

Regards

Steve

Guest suzanne27

Hello

Many thanks to you all fro your replies which I read with interest, the fact that some men who were unfit to return to active being transferred to the RDC was a big help!

once again thank you for your trouble

Kind regards

Suzanne