Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Getting Dressed in WW I the VAD Nurses

James A Pratt III

I stumbled on this by accident on youtube : Getting Dressed in WW I the VAD Nurses. Its on what a VAD nurse wore and how she got dressed. I think some people might find this interesting

The video is really useful in understanding how the uniform and will need to repainted my model figures of my Netley coaches. The colour of the blankets was also helpful as the model is far too blue.

can anybody advise on the three white stripes on the arms of the uniform? The other nurse appeared to have three on one side and only one stripe on the other arm.

thanks for posting.

Edited by CommanderChuff

13 hours ago, James A Pratt III said:

I stumbled on this by accident on youtube : Getting Dressed in WW I the VAD Nurses. Its on what a VAD nurse wore and how she got dressed. I think some people might find this interesting

I don't know about anyone else but I have no lead as to what everyone else seems to be seeing. No links for me.

• Admin

Sitting here in my scrubs ( a concession grudgingly granted by my manager for the months of July and August) I take my cap off ( if I still wore one) to these girls working in that uniform! Rest of the year I wear a tunic and trousers. Still stifling but better than a corset and all those layers.

Michelle 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very glad I didn't have to work in all gear. .. but I did have a cap. 

• 1 month later...

Among the other things I found on youtube were:

"Dressing in a 1914 fashion"

Getting dressed WW I young woman" where women are where more modern and pratical clothes

• 1 month later...

My grandmother served in Malta as a VAD for 4 years. She told me, and I have photos, that they had to wear their serge uniforms, including a long coat, when out in the community. Having spent a summer in Malta, I cannot imagine how they coped with all that wool and all  those layers. I was slightly shocked when my very straight-laced and lady-like granny told me of the nurses skinny-dipping in the Grand Harbour!