Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hello, I hope you may be able to help.  My local branch of the British Legion is funding a new Book of Remembrance to be displayed at our local church (the previous one having been sent to Chichester Records office).  We are trying to incorporate men who were missed from the previous book and would like to get the details right. The RBL has a collection of named photos of men serving in WW1, most of which tally with our memorials.  However we have Private James Pattenden (photographed in his London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Uniform)  and a note that he was injured on 27th September and died in St Omer on October 12th 1915.

CWGC records show two J Pattendens killed around that time, one of whom is 7th Battalion Northants Regt & is buried in Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery (presumably wounded and hospitalised - records say he died on 18th October), the other Royal Sussex Regt killed in action on 25th Sept 1915 and listed on the Le Touret memorial.  Unhelpfully there is no record that I can find of a James Pattenden in the villages of West Hoathly, Sharpthorne or Highbrook (I don't have access to the 1911 census at the mo) although we do have Arthur Pattenden working as a gardener at the Courtlands estate.  Royal Sussex Pattenden came from Burwash, Sussex and Northants Pattenden was born in Slaugham, Sussex (with parents in Horndean, Hampshire)

I lean towards our man being the Northants man but none of the dates quite tally. Can anyone help?  We would really like to get the date right in the Book of Remembrance.

Their respective service numbers are Royal Sussex Regiment  G/4359 and Northants Regt 16998 

Any help or pointers towards where I could get this resolved would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Sophie

Many experts frequent this place and someone I am sure will be along to help you further than I can.

Have you checked the Soldiers' Effects Records as they will give a pointer as to whom their payments were made following their deaths and may enable you eliminate one or confirm one as your man?

Their wills are most probably available from here https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills  but as they cost £10 each and will no doubt be very sparse it may be best to consult the above first.

Good luck with your search

David

From the effects records:

#16998 had his monies paid to his father James
#4359 had his monies paid to his widow Ada (later remarried as Ada Marshall)

Craig

Hi Sophie,

In the 1901 census, living in West Lodge, West Hoathly there is

image.png.d4b3bc9c49738f5d3134cf0cf996b912.png

Image source: Ancestry.co.uk - 1901 Census

Parents have same name as the 16998 chap, and born in Slaugham.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

His Soldiers' Effects record says that he died in 10 Stationary Hospital, St Omer

Edited by clk

• Admin
Just now, ss002d6252 said:

From the effects records:

#16998 had his monies paid to his father James
#4359 had his monies paid to his widow Ada (later remarried as Ada Marshall)

Craig

Craig

I knew you would help Sophie out. Any further details on father and / or widow?

Regards

David

I suspect this is the marriage of #4359
image.png.9a0de4583054f98fd4f4652cd3adda63.png

It looks like in 1911 there are Hepden's in and around the area in the original post so that there's a possible connection that way.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thank you all very much - I'm very grateful for your help and we can carry on with our book of Remembrance - we really want to get it right this time - it's amazing how many  discrepancies there are in our four village memorials and paper roll of honour.  Thanks.  Sophie