Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The London Illustrated News

Andrew Smith

G'day All,

I am after a photo of Flt Sub Lieut. Cecil Horace Brinsmead and I am told he was on the front cover of the Illustrated London News in Feb 1916 (the 5th I think). I am desperately seeking a photo of him so if anyone has this mag would it be possible for you to scan it and email it to me.

The photo will be for Steve Drew's and my book on Aussies in the RNAS.

I would be interested if it had his obituary as well and if a copy could be made of that also.

Regards,

Andrew

Guest Pete Wood

I'm due to go the ILN archive in the next two or three weeks. If someone hasn't sorted you out, by then, I'll look it up.

Please remind me, though. Send me an email at the end of next week if you want me to do this.

Obit and personal notice from The Times:

post-25-1105397276.jpg

G'day Pete,

Thanks for the offer, Joe Gertler at The Aerodrome had the magazine in his collection and has emailed it to me. As for The Times, I have access to this and it is a very much under rated source for research.

Thanks again mate,

Andrew

Andrew: Actually the photo is not on the front page but on the Roll of Honour page. I have attached it below. Regards. Dick

post-25-1105588134.jpg

Andrew: Here is Brinsmead's obituary from Roll of Honour and War List, 1914-18 of University College School, Hampstead. It has the same photo as the Illustrated London News.

Regards. Dick

post-25-1105588906.jpg