Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

kylet183

Hi all,

So i recently received this 1901 dated British 6pdr cartridge case.

This is probably a stretch, but from what i know about British tanks in the first world war, some cases were apparently marked "T" for tank or "L" for land. This case has a "
T" next to the "x37" marking (which i am also unsure of).
I know the navy used an "N" but as this is pre war, the 6pdrs would have all been navy so i guess there would be no need for an "N" stamp?

The bottom of the case has also been blackened which was done to most of the shells destined for use in the 8cwt 6 pound gun in the Mk4 and 5 tanks. However i am not sure how high the blackening should be?

Ultimately, even though this case is 1901 dated, could it have been re used all the way up into 1917 or 18? 

Lastly, did anyone know what the little X icon above the III means?

Any help with this would be very much appreciated!
Cheers,
Kyle.

IMG_5976.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

I doubt it ever saw tank use IMHO. I can’t see any obvious reloading markings. The blackening should be half way up the case for 6pr 6cwt ammunition.

A ‘T’ symbol usually means tracer in my experience, although that would normally be stencilled on the projectile or case.

Regards,

Mark

In this context I think that T is the mark for the filling station at Tipnor. It appears in the list of Station Monograms and Initials in the List of Service Markings 1918.

Mike

Yeah i was definitely clutching at straws with this one...

Thanks for that info Mike! Ill have to find myself a version of that service markings list.