Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flare Gun Identification help

Sorry I can't find anything on this Old Flare gun. May not be from the great war. I may be int eh wrong forum also.

It is a solid steel forged octagon barrel with Spring launch. It appears to have thread in the barrel where an extension could be added??

Any help would be appreciated.

All works OK, and I launched a rubber cylinder I stuck in the barrel.

IMG_4973.JPG

IMG_4974.JPG

IMG_4975.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

On 01/08/2018 at 08:54, museumtom said:

Is it a humane killer?

My thought also - does the inner part go beyond the barrel plunger style when 'fired'?

Have a look at: https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/58/1213/greener-humane-horse-killer

Looks more like a toy 'pop' gun for firing corks to me. What is the bore size? I would expect between about 13mm and 19mm, if bigger, then ot would fire specially supplied rubber balls

Edited by Radlad
spelling

What ever it is, there appears to be a thread at the muzzle, so is it missing something?

If its not a thread, but just serrations then I would go with the rubber ball 'pop' gun idea.

Bit on the heavy side for a toy pop gun although I see what you mean - my kids have examples...

1 hour ago, trajan said:

Bit on the heavy side for a toy pop gun although I see what you mean - my kids have examples...

Don't confuse modern manufacturing methods with those around during the later 19th century and the early 20th century. I have seen many examples like that. I stand by my identification of it as a toy

• 2 weeks later...

Fair enough Radlad! 'Tis same bore diameter or near enough as my boys' plastic ones. :thumbsup: