Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Post Office Memorial

Bill Tomlinson

Bill

I don't know of a national war memorial to postmen, but many local post offices had their own memorials. It may be worth looking in the local newspaper in the town or district where he was employed.

He may have also had a mention in the "Postmans Gazette" - a trades union publication which mentions many men who served or were killed or wounded. Copies of this can be found at the British Library Newspaper Archive, Collingwood , London.

Terry Reeves

The Post Office Rifles have a memorial outside the Royal Exchange, Bank junction, London. Does this help ?

There is a memorial in the post office in King William Street, city of London (at least there was when I attended a Remembrance day service there some while back). Close to this street in the area known as Little Britain, you will also find Postman's Park and a church - the name of which escapes me - which was the focal point for Post Office Rifles' reunions.

I can't remember offhand whether the memorial in the post office contains a roll of honour. I'm sorry, it was a long while ago that I was there.

Paul

Bill,

Many Post Offices seem to have had postcards made of the list of those serving, have seen several such examples. Also he could have been a member of the Postmans Federation which might be checkable.

Andy

Dear Bill,

I found the following Post Office archive very helpful:

Heritage Services, Consignia at Freeling House, Phoenix Place, London, WC1X

email: Heritage.Services.Mail.In@consignia.com

But I am not sure how up to date this address is now.

Regards Janet